Hatha Yoga and The Eternal View of Life and Death

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2011
      The Eternal View of Life and Death
      By Bette Rose

      While we are all here on Earth, we attach a
      tremendous importance to our physical bodies.
      Some call it ego, some self–preservation or
      preservation of our species. And sometimes we
      become so enamored of the look or feel of our
      bodies, that we lose sight of the true purpose
      of Hatha Yoga teachings – to create a union of
      body, mind, and spirit, equally, with no one
      part of the continuum reigning supreme over
      another – to live in balance and harmony, while
      in this body, however temporarily, and to use
      the pranic energy flow through the breath, the
      meditative and peaceful state of the mind, and
      the good health of the body to achieve clarity
      and purity, while still here in this earthly form,
      so that we will, at some point, be able to drop
      the physical body (and mind) and achieve pure samadhi
      and merge spiritually with the entire universe,
      as it is, rather than as we have perceived it.

      I recently had the auspicious privilege of witnessing
      a dear loved one desperately trying to detach from her
      body and this physical plane for many weeks and in her
      words "It's not easy to die". I was never conscious of
      that before – but from this event, I have come to
      understand that, no matter what our differences and
      disparities of beliefs about where our bodies go after
      physical death, it is the one common thread that binds
      us together – it is the one path that we will all walk,
      run, crawl, or be dragged kicking and screaming down –
      or up – without exception.So now, the importance of
      learning to live in this body, and also to leave it
      appropriately is appreciated as the essential nature
      of practicing Hatha Yoga. Hatha Yoga is not just for the
      present, but is for the eternal and infinite, and that
      is one of its greatest presents.

      Spread peace through Yoga and Meditation. Shanti, Shanti, OM

      Bette is the Vice President of the Meditation Society of America
      and taught Hatha Yoga for over 25 years