A Taoist Tale from China by Lieh Tzu

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2011
      A woodcutter went out one morning to cut some
      firewood and discovered that his favorite ax
      was missing. He couldn't find it anywhere. Then
      he noticed his neighbor's son standing near the
      woodshed. The woodcutter thought, "Aha! That boy
      must have stolen my ax. I see how he lurks about
      the shed, shifting uneasily from foot to foot,
      greedy hands stuffed in his pockets, a guilty look
      on his face. I can't prove it, but he MUST have
      stolen my ax."

      A few days later the woodcutter was surprised and
      happy to come upon the ax under a pile of firewood.
      "I remember now," he said, "Just where I'd left it!"

      The next time he saw his neighbor's son, the
      woodcutter looked intently at the boy, scrutinizing
      him from head to toe. How odd, he thought, somehow
      this boy has lost his guilty look . . .
      permission from the copyright owner.