Words of Wisdom by Kalu Rimpoche

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2011
      "We could say that meditation doesn't have
      a reason or doesn't have a purpose. In this
      respect it's unlike almost all other things
      we do except perhaps making music and dancing.
      When we make music we don't do it in order
      to reach a certain point, such as the end of
      the composition. If that were the purpose of
      music then obviously the fastest players would
      be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are
      not aiming to arrive at a particular place on
      the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the
      journey itself is the point, as when we play
      music the playing itself is the point. And exactly
      the same thing is true in meditation. Meditation
      is the discovery that the point of life is always
      arrived at in the immediate moment."
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2011

        "We could say that meditation doesn't have
        a reason or doesn't have a purpose. In this
        respect it's unlike almost all other things
        we do except perhaps making music and dancing.
        When we make music we don't do it in order
        to reach a certain point, such as the end of
        the composition. If that were the purpose of
        music then obviously the fastest players would
        be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are
        not aiming to arrive at a particular place on
        the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the
        journey itself is the point, as when we play
        music the playing itself is the point. And exactly
        the same thing is true in meditation. Meditation
        is the discovery that the point of life is always
        arrived at in the immediate moment."

        True.  Good analogies.  No “goals” in dancing, music.

        A.