Re: Zen Wisdom

  • walto
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

      > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
      > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

      When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
      When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

      ;>}

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
        The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
        suppose that I am here and you are out there.

        Yasutani Roshi

        permission from the copyright owner.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
          "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
          in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
          faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
          not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
          facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
          unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
          said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
          loses every day."

          Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
          permission from the copyright owner.
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
            Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
            to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
            but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

            He made the following rules, which he practiced
            every day of his life.

            In the morning before dressing, light incense
            and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

            Partake of food at regular intervals.
            Eat with moderation and never to the point
            of satisfaction.

            Receive a guest with the same attitude you
            have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
            attitude you have in receiving guests.

            Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
            When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
            yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
            the past. Look to the future.

            Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
            loving heart of a child.

            Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
            last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
            you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
            permission from the copyright owner.