Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
      When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
      when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
    • walto
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

        > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
        > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

        When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
        When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

        ;>}

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
          The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
          suppose that I am here and you are out there.

          Yasutani Roshi

          permission from the copyright owner.
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
            "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
            in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
            faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
            not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
            facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
            unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
            said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
            loses every day."

            Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
            permission from the copyright owner.
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
              Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
              to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
              but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

              He made the following rules, which he practiced
              every day of his life.

              In the morning before dressing, light incense
              and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

              Partake of food at regular intervals.
              Eat with moderation and never to the point
              of satisfaction.

              Receive a guest with the same attitude you
              have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
              attitude you have in receiving guests.

              Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
              When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
              yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
              the past. Look to the future.

              Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
              loving heart of a child.

              Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
              last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
              you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
              permission from the copyright owner.