Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 197 , Jul 12, 2011
      Elevate Your Mind

      "You must be very careful about what you
      read or watch on TV, particularly at night.
      Because, if you go to bed with lofty ideas,
      the lofty ideas are slowly accepted by the
      subconscious mind during the night, and you
      become a better person in the morning. So,
      always keep next to your bedside some good
      books, holy books, with which you can elevate
      your mind. If you take some exciting books
      or TV shows, you will go on reading or watching
      instead of soothing your nerves. These will
      stimulate your system and you won't get sleep.
      Most of those who complain of sleeplessness
      do so because they do not know what to read at night.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 197 of 197 , Today at 6:01 AM

        NOTHING LESS THAN THAT

        Just be happy, have fun, enjoy life and don't get caught. When I say, "don't get caught," I am not talking about someone else catching you. I am talking about your own mind. Choose the kind of fun that won't bind you. If a certain kind of fun will bring you unhappiness later on, then it's not fun at all. Our goal is unending joy.

        Sometimes people think that to be a spiritual seeker or a good, religious person means being always very serious. They think that such a person can't have fun, can't laugh. That is no kind of life. Life means being always joyful, always happy, jubilant. Every minute should be a celebration. Every minute should be a festivity. That is possible only if you keep your mind in good shape and don't allow it to get into mischief.

        Be conscious of all your actions. Before you do anything, question yourself: "What am I doing it for? To be happy, to have fun. Okay, will it be fun always or will it only be fun for a little while and then start creating problems? Will anyone be hurt by it? How long can I be happy? Will there be an end? What is the price I have to pay?" After all this analysis, if your answer is, "Yes. I will always be happy. It will never bind or bother me," then go ahead.

        Remember, our intention is to enjoy life, to be happy always-nothing less than that.

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi