RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Zen Wisdom

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011

      Hah!

      One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

      Aideen

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
        When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
        when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
      • walto
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

          > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
          > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

          When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
          When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

          ;>}

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
            The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
            suppose that I am here and you are out there.

            Yasutani Roshi

            permission from the copyright owner.
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
              "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
              in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
              faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
              not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
              facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
              unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
              said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
              loses every day."

              Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
              permission from the copyright owner.
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                He made the following rules, which he practiced
                every day of his life.

                In the morning before dressing, light incense
                and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                Partake of food at regular intervals.
                Eat with moderation and never to the point
                of satisfaction.

                Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                attitude you have in receiving guests.

                Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                the past. Look to the future.

                Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                loving heart of a child.

                Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                permission from the copyright owner.