Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Zen Wisdom

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9 6:59 AM
      A Master in grave soto voce.........explained to the gathering...

      "If you believe a Zen master speaks to make you understand........you  are mistaken .

      He speaks to totally confound you.......... so that  you give up in disgust and forsake understanding altogether.

      If you say, Ummon's staff isn't real, he'll hit you with it;

      if you say it exists, he will break it in two and throw it in the fire, and ask you to lean on its ashes."

      Came a voice from the audience..

      "I hope this wasn't Ummon's approach ......when propositioned for oral sex.

      Or was that why..... he was known to have a very funny walk."

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9 11:51 AM

        Hah!

        One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

        Aideen

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13 3:50 PM
          When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
          when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
        • walto
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14 8:22 AM

            > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
            > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

            When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
            When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

            ;>}

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
              The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
              suppose that I am here and you are out there.

              Yasutani Roshi

              permission from the copyright owner.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
                in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
                faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
                not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
                facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
                unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
                said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
                loses every day."

                Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
                permission from the copyright owner.
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                  Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                  to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                  but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                  He made the following rules, which he practiced
                  every day of his life.

                  In the morning before dressing, light incense
                  and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                  Partake of food at regular intervals.
                  Eat with moderation and never to the point
                  of satisfaction.

                  Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                  have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                  attitude you have in receiving guests.

                  Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                  When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                  yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                  the past. Look to the future.

                  Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                  loving heart of a child.

                  Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                  last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                  you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                  permission from the copyright owner.