Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011
      Why practice quiet sitting?
      So you can really get a look
      At your original mind.
      You look at it coming, look at it going,
      And then you know you're the original person.
      This latter age has no deep faith,
      No one practices the
      Direct road to understanding.
      All they do is flap three inches of tongue
      And lose themselves in the muddle of the mind.

      - Gensei (1623-1668)
    • cris angel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011

        smiles frm N Thailnd

        Mbl sent

      • sandeep chatterjee
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
          A Master in grave soto voce.........explained to the gathering...

          "If you believe a Zen master speaks to make you understand........you  are mistaken .

          He speaks to totally confound you.......... so that  you give up in disgust and forsake understanding altogether.

          If you say, Ummon's staff isn't real, he'll hit you with it;

          if you say it exists, he will break it in two and throw it in the fire, and ask you to lean on its ashes."

          Came a voice from the audience..

          "I hope this wasn't Ummon's approach ......when propositioned for oral sex.

          Or was that why..... he was known to have a very funny walk."

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011

            Hah!

            One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

            Aideen

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
              When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
              when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
            • walto
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

                > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

                When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
                When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

                ;>}

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 19 7:19 PM
                  The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
                  suppose that I am here and you are out there.

                  Yasutani Roshi

                  permission from the copyright owner.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                    "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
                    in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
                    faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
                    not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
                    facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
                    unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
                    said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
                    loses every day."

                    Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
                    permission from the copyright owner.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                      Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                      to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                      but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                      He made the following rules, which he practiced
                      every day of his life.

                      In the morning before dressing, light incense
                      and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                      Partake of food at regular intervals.
                      Eat with moderation and never to the point
                      of satisfaction.

                      Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                      have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                      attitude you have in receiving guests.

                      Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                      When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                      yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                      the past. Look to the future.

                      Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                      loving heart of a child.

                      Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                      last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                      you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                      permission from the copyright owner.