Re: Perhaps the best essay...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

      > ..on this subject I've ever read
      > -- and from a notorious (shudder)
      > atheist skeptic, no less:
      >
      > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>

      Excellent pointing. Much appreciated. And I agree with
      most (maybe all) of his conclusions...
      I like this ne comparing LSD to meditation....
      "While meditation can open the mind to a similar
      range of conscious states, they are reached far less
      haphazardly. If LSD is like being strapped to rocket,
      learning to meditate is like gently raising a sail.
      Yes, it is possible, even with guidance, to wind up
      someplace terrifying--and there are people who probably
      shouldn't spend long periods in intensive practice.
      But the general effect of meditation training is of
      settling ever more fully into one's own skin, and
      suffering less, rather than more there."