Re: Perhaps the best essay...

  • walto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

      > ..on this subject I've ever read
      > -- and from a notorious (shudder)
      > atheist skeptic, no less:
      >
      > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>

      Thanks for that link: I haven't read it yet, but I generally like Sam Harris: smart guy.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
        Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

        > ..on this subject I've ever read
        > -- and from a notorious (shudder)
        > atheist skeptic, no less:
        >
        > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>

        Excellent pointing. Much appreciated. And I agree with
        most (maybe all) of his conclusions...
        I like this ne comparing LSD to meditation....
        "While meditation can open the mind to a similar
        range of conscious states, they are reached far less
        haphazardly. If LSD is like being strapped to rocket,
        learning to meditate is like gently raising a sail.
        Yes, it is possible, even with guidance, to wind up
        someplace terrifying--and there are people who probably
        shouldn't spend long periods in intensive practice.
        But the general effect of meditation training is of
        settling ever more fully into one's own skin, and
        suffering less, rather than more there."