Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 196 , Jul 7, 2011

      From: walto <calhorn@...>
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:05 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

      > ________________________________
      >

      > > Hi. I was struck by something in your last couple of posts. This:
      > >
      > > "We must always keep the goal
      > > clear and see that our every action is recorded,
      > > measured, limited and controlled. Every one of us
      > > must become navigators."
      > >
      > > may actually be inconsistent with this:
      > >
      > > "The degree of the absence of thoughts is the
      > > measure of your progress towards Self-realization.
      > > But Self-realization itself does not admit of progress,
      > > it is ever the same."
      > >
      > > One takes the position that mindfulness/eye on the goal/etc. is key to
      > > self-realization. The other that no-mind/absence of goal or direction is the
      > > key.
      > >
      > > Meditation literature is funny that way.
      > >
      > > Best,

      > Which is why stick to what makes you uncomfortable. (Yes.."un").
      >
      > During one full day .....of Sangha........Ananda observed a seeker in the morning, asking Buddha "Is there God?".
      > Buddha, to Ananda's astonishment answered "Yes".
      >

      > Later on the day another bhikshuk asked the same question and Buddha to Ananda's astonishment, answered
      > " No"
      >
      > And in the evening of the same day......one approached and stood in silence in Buddha's presence..
      >

      > ...after a little time, tears were rolling down the seeker's face.....
      >

      > and after some time....the seeker bowed and left......with not a single sound .....being exchanged.
      >
      > After both had finished dinner and after some satisfied belching by both ...(the yams were a bit over ripe)....
      >
      > ... Ananda confronted Buddha and asked "What gives? You are no better than a used car salesman"
      >
      > Buddha replied, "The first was an atheist and was merely seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The second was an theist and was also seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The third presented beingness..... which met beingness ........in tears and in silence.
      >
      > Hey little bro, I have a '67 Chevy on which I can get you a great deal"
      >

      > In a school, where there are no grades to pass and move to the next...
      >
      > ...there is the kindergartner of controlled action, and focused navigation towards a self-created goal....
      >

      > ..and there is the double PhD of .......No degrees in Reality.
      >
      > I.e. the construct of time and space being notional inferences ....
      >

      > ...thereby any becoming, which has to be within the such notions...... is itself a notion.....
      >

      > Aka, a display of what would be something like progress....
      >
      > ... if someone, something .......could ever be isolated and its evolution ever be monitored.
      >

      > And whoever said that consistency is a necessary condition.
      >

      > Consistent and inconsistent......are both conclusions..... against a parameter, against a paradigm.
      >

      > Which is notions arrived at .....through contrasting.....against another notion.

      Even you construct an argument above, in which you think a conclusion of sorts follows from the premises in your story.

      ----------

      Nah......no conclusion, no premises in the story...any story.

      Just impressions of such.

      The narrating of the story.......like a signature on flowing waters.

      And thus the absence of  the presence of the signature and it's seemingly created impression....

      ....AND.....

      ...the absence of the absence of  the presence of the signature and it's seemingly created impression.

      And it's not an infinite regress.

      -----------

       Language and communication require that inferences of that type can be made:

      -------

      Sure,......and which is an impression .....which itself is based on the assumption that  "languaging" and "communicating" is actually happening.

      Yeah, I am aware of the Wittgenstein joker.

      He was always good for some fund and games stories.:-)

      Message 196 of 196 , May 8 12:51 PM

        What Would People Be Saying About You?

        "If you died this minute, what would people be saying about you? If the majority of people would feel sorry about your departure, if they would feel they had gotten a lot of help from you and that you hadn't hurt anyone, then certainly God is happy with you and the gates of Heaven are open to you.

        To get God's Grace means to get the grace of your neighbors. God doesn't need your worship and service directly. Worship the Creation, and you have worshiped God. Serve the Creation, and you have served God.

        Let us think of these points and see if we can do something to make our life a little better, a little more peaceful, a little more useful, If it not useful, at least let it be harmless. The essence of all religions is this: just be good and do good. Then God will be happy with you, and you will find real peace and joy in your life."

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi