[Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • walto
    Message 1 of 199 , Jul 7, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

      > ________________________________
      >

      > > Hi. I was struck by something in your last couple of posts. This:
      > >
      > > "We must always keep the goal
      > > clear and see that our every action is recorded,
      > > measured, limited and controlled. Every one of us
      > > must become navigators."
      > >
      > > may actually be inconsistent with this:
      > >
      > > "The degree of the absence of thoughts is the
      > > measure of your progress towards Self-realization.
      > > But Self-realization itself does not admit of progress,
      > > it is ever the same."
      > >
      > > One takes the position that mindfulness/eye on the goal/etc. is key to
      > > self-realization. The other that no-mind/absence of goal or direction is the
      > > key.
      > >
      > > Meditation literature is funny that way.
      > >
      > > Best,

      > Which is why stick to what makes you uncomfortable. (Yes.."un").
      >
      > During one full day .....of Sangha........Ananda observed a seeker in the morning, asking Buddha "Is there God?".
      > Buddha, to Ananda's astonishment answered "Yes".
      >

      > Later on the day another bhikshuk asked the same question and Buddha to Ananda's astonishment, answered
      > " No"
      >
      > And in the evening of the same day......one approached and stood in silence in Buddha's presence..
      >

      > ...after a little time, tears were rolling down the seeker's face.....
      >

      > and after some time....the seeker bowed and left......with not a single sound .....being exchanged.
      >
      > After both had finished dinner and after some satisfied belching by both ...(the yams were a bit over ripe)....
      >
      > ... Ananda confronted Buddha and asked "What gives? You are no better than a used car salesman"
      >
      > Buddha replied, "The first was an atheist and was merely seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The second was an theist and was also seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The third presented beingness..... which met beingness ........in tears and in silence.
      >
      > Hey little bro, I have a '67 Chevy on which I can get you a great deal"
      >

      > In a school, where there are no grades to pass and move to the next...
      >
      > ...there is the kindergartner of controlled action, and focused navigation towards a self-created goal....
      >

      > ..and there is the double PhD of .......No degrees in Reality.
      >
      > I.e. the construct of time and space being notional inferences ....
      >

      > ...thereby any becoming, which has to be within the such notions...... is itself a notion.....
      >

      > Aka, a display of what would be something like progress....
      >
      > ... if someone, something .......could ever be isolated and its evolution ever be monitored.
      >

      > And whoever said that consistency is a necessary condition.
      >

      > Consistent and inconsistent......are both conclusions..... against a parameter, against a paradigm.
      >

      > Which is notions arrived at .....through contrasting.....against another notion.

      Even you construct an argument above, in which you think a conclusion of sorts follows from the premises in your story. Language and communication require that inferences of that type can be made:

      http://whakahekeheke.tumblr.com/post/7299867025/wittgenstein-on-logic-and-contradiction-if

    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)