[Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • walto
    Message 1 of 193 , Jul 7, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

      > ________________________________
      >

      > > Hi. I was struck by something in your last couple of posts. This:
      > >
      > > "We must always keep the goal
      > > clear and see that our every action is recorded,
      > > measured, limited and controlled. Every one of us
      > > must become navigators."
      > >
      > > may actually be inconsistent with this:
      > >
      > > "The degree of the absence of thoughts is the
      > > measure of your progress towards Self-realization.
      > > But Self-realization itself does not admit of progress,
      > > it is ever the same."
      > >
      > > One takes the position that mindfulness/eye on the goal/etc. is key to
      > > self-realization. The other that no-mind/absence of goal or direction is the
      > > key.
      > >
      > > Meditation literature is funny that way.
      > >
      > > Best,

      > Which is why stick to what makes you uncomfortable. (Yes.."un").
      >
      > During one full day .....of Sangha........Ananda observed a seeker in the morning, asking Buddha "Is there God?".
      > Buddha, to Ananda's astonishment answered "Yes".
      >

      > Later on the day another bhikshuk asked the same question and Buddha to Ananda's astonishment, answered
      > " No"
      >
      > And in the evening of the same day......one approached and stood in silence in Buddha's presence..
      >

      > ...after a little time, tears were rolling down the seeker's face.....
      >

      > and after some time....the seeker bowed and left......with not a single sound .....being exchanged.
      >
      > After both had finished dinner and after some satisfied belching by both ...(the yams were a bit over ripe)....
      >
      > ... Ananda confronted Buddha and asked "What gives? You are no better than a used car salesman"
      >
      > Buddha replied, "The first was an atheist and was merely seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The second was an theist and was also seeking a validation of his belief.
      >
      > The third presented beingness..... which met beingness ........in tears and in silence.
      >
      > Hey little bro, I have a '67 Chevy on which I can get you a great deal"
      >

      > In a school, where there are no grades to pass and move to the next...
      >
      > ...there is the kindergartner of controlled action, and focused navigation towards a self-created goal....
      >

      > ..and there is the double PhD of .......No degrees in Reality.
      >
      > I.e. the construct of time and space being notional inferences ....
      >

      > ...thereby any becoming, which has to be within the such notions...... is itself a notion.....
      >

      > Aka, a display of what would be something like progress....
      >
      > ... if someone, something .......could ever be isolated and its evolution ever be monitored.
      >

      > And whoever said that consistency is a necessary condition.
      >

      > Consistent and inconsistent......are both conclusions..... against a parameter, against a paradigm.
      >

      > Which is notions arrived at .....through contrasting.....against another notion.

      Even you construct an argument above, in which you think a conclusion of sorts follows from the premises in your story. Language and communication require that inferences of that type can be made:

      http://whakahekeheke.tumblr.com/post/7299867025/wittgenstein-on-logic-and-contradiction-if

      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.