Perhaps the best essay...

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011
      ..on this subject I've ever read
      -- and from a notorious (shudder)
      atheist skeptic, no less:

      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>
    • walto
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

        > ..on this subject I've ever read
        > -- and from a notorious (shudder)
        > atheist skeptic, no less:
        >
        > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>

        Thanks for that link: I haven't read it yet, but I generally like Sam Harris: smart guy.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
          Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

          > ..on this subject I've ever read
          > -- and from a notorious (shudder)
          > atheist skeptic, no less:
          >
          > <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-_b_891014.html>

          Excellent pointing. Much appreciated. And I agree with
          most (maybe all) of his conclusions...
          I like this ne comparing LSD to meditation....
          "While meditation can open the mind to a similar
          range of conscious states, they are reached far less
          haphazardly. If LSD is like being strapped to rocket,
          learning to meditate is like gently raising a sail.
          Yes, it is possible, even with guidance, to wind up
          someplace terrifying--and there are people who probably
          shouldn't spend long periods in intensive practice.
          But the general effect of meditation training is of
          settling ever more fully into one's own skin, and
          suffering less, rather than more there."