Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 200 , Jul 6, 2011

      > Hi. I was struck by something in your last couple of posts. This:
      >
      > "We must always keep the goal
      > clear and see that our every action is recorded,
      > measured, limited and controlled. Every one of us
      > must become navigators."
      >
      > may actually be inconsistent with this:
      >
      > "The degree of the absence of thoughts is the
      > measure of your progress towards Self-realization.
      > But Self-realization itself does not admit of progress,
      > it is ever the same."
      >
      > One takes the position that mindfulness/eye on the goal/etc. is key to
      > self-realization. The other that no-mind/absence of goal or direction is the
      > key.
      >
      > Meditation literature is funny that way.
      >
      > Best,

      Which is why stick to what makes you uncomfortable. (Yes.."un").

      During one full day .....of Sangha........Ananda observed a seeker in the morning, asking Buddha "Is there God?".
      Buddha, to Ananda's astonishment answered "Yes".

      Later on the day another bhikshuk asked the same question and Buddha to Ananda's astonishment, answered
      " No"

      And in the evening of the same day......one approached and stood in silence in Buddha's presence..

      ...after a little time, tears were rolling down the seeker's face.....

      and after some time....the seeker bowed and left......with not a single sound .....being exchanged.

      After both had finished dinner and after some satisfied belching by both ...(the yams were a bit over ripe)....

      ... Ananda confronted Buddha and asked "What gives? You are no better than a used car salesman"

      Buddha replied, "The first was an atheist and was merely seeking a validation of his belief.

      The second was an theist and was also seeking a validation of his belief.

      The third presented beingness..... which met beingness ........in tears and in silence.

      Hey little bro, I have a '67 Chevy on which I can get you a great deal"

      In a school, where there are no grades to pass and move to the next...

      ...there is the kindergartner of controlled action, and focused navigation towards a self-created goal....

      ..and there is the double PhD of .......No degrees in Reality.

      I.e. the construct of time and space being notional inferences ....

      ...thereby any becoming, which has to be within the such notions...... is itself a notion.....

      Aka, a display of what would be something like progress....

      ... if someone, something .......could ever be isolated and its evolution ever be monitored.

      And whoever said that consistency is a necessary condition.

      Consistent and inconsistent......are both conclusions..... against a parameter, against a paradigm.

      Which is notions arrived at .....through contrasting.....against another notion.

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.