RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 200 , Jul 6, 2011

      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto:meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of walto
      Sent: July-06-11 4:12 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > It's a bit of a mind-hurting conundrum for a person practising a Buddhist
      > philosophy . Awakening is a goal of sorts but the goal thing goes against
      > Buddhism as most understand it. Not clinging, not being attached to the
      > concept of a goal is perhaps how to think about it..
      >
      > Anyway, mette to all in this lovely Meditation Society on this perfectly
      > lovely July day.
      >
      > Aideen

      It was hot and almost cloudless in the Boston area today, and as I sat without umbrella on crowded Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester, a line from a plaintive _Peter Grimes_ aria kept going through my mind:

      "Who who who who. Who can turn skies back....and begin again?"

      That would be good – if we could just do the 11 years of this century over in a less stupid, more mindful way.  A.

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.