[Meditation Society of America] Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 6, 2011
      "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > It's a bit of a mind-hurting conundrum for a person practising a Buddhist
      > philosophy . Awakening is a goal of sorts but the goal thing goes against
      > Buddhism as most understand it. Not clinging, not being attached to the
      > concept of a goal is perhaps how to think about it..
      >
      > Anyway, mette to all in this lovely Meditation Society on this perfectly
      > lovely July day.
      >
      > Aideen

      Yo Aideen,
      I feel at one with what you're saying about Buddhism,
      but, talking/reading/writing about conundrums; has anyone
      ever worked harder towards a goal than Buddha?

      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda