Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 5, 2011
      Keep the Goal Clear

      "From looking at many people's lives, we often see
      that they are almost like rudderless boats. They're
      just tossed here and there. There is no direction
      for them. Even a small wind can toss them here and
      there. And to such people it's very, very difficult
      to say when they will reach their goal, and how.
      In Yoga it's the same. We must always keep the goal
      clear and see that our every action is recorded,
      measured, limited and controlled. Every one of us
      must become navigators. The body is like the boat;
      inside is our common sense, and our intelligence
      is the navigator.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda