A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
      a meditation had a "bad" effect on the poster, a
      member has suggested that we again share this.......

      A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

      You're sitting comfortably in your favorite spot,
      all is well, you're calm, cool, and collected. You
      start to meditate, perhaps repeating a mantra, and
      then you find you just can't concentrate. Let's say
      that you intend to say OM over and over. What
      sometimes happens is that after you say OM a few
      times, your inner chatterer starts making comments.
      It may go like this…"Om sounds like home. Boy,
      wouldn't it be nice to buy a new home." And then
      it continues "They just built a few new homes in
      New Jersey. If I take the turnpike I can get there
      pretty quickly. But there may be a lot of traffic.
      I might get stuck in it for hours", and so on, and
      so on. So, there you are, not just not experiencing
      OM, but now you're in gridlock and starting to feel
      road rage! Then, you realize that you've lost your
      concentration and instead of just returning to
      meditating on OM, your inner chatterer starts
      chastising you with statements like "You can't meditate!
      You're no good! You're incompetent!' and so on.
      Then it starts filling you with self-pity things
      like "I suffer so. If only I could control my mind,
      but I can't and never will." Of course, this is even
      further away from OM than driving on the turnpike.
      But there is also something very good happening as
      well, and it may prove to be far more beneficial in
      the long run than if you would have had a meditation
      that included visions of heaven and feelings of bliss.

      There is an awareness, a consciousness within you that
      is a silent Witness to everything your senses react
      with, your mind thinks, and your emotions feel. It has
      been witnessing since you were born. When you were a
      baby and couldn't judge, compare, or comment in any
      way about anything, it was already witnessing. As a
      matter of fact, this Witness is your only hope of
      eternal life. Your body will drop. Your thoughts and
      emotions will stop. These things have never had any
      permanence whatsoever. The only thing about them that
      never changes is that they are always changing. Our
      Witness is the only part of us that has been changeless
      and is the only part of us that has the possibility
      of surviving death.You are not your body, you are not
      your emotions, you are not your mind. The Witness is
      the Real Self. When you meditate it is the Witness who
      will recognize that you have stopped concentrating,
      or are distracted, or are demeaning yourself. You then
      can stop it and direct your consciousness to what
      is appropriate. This is Real Self-control.

      This puts you in the position of benefiting greatly
      when your attempt at meditation "fails". You will
      begin to recognize not just that you have lost your
      concentration, but what caused you to divert your
      attention. Sometimes you will be able to become aware
      of habitual behaviors that have distracted you. For
      instance, sounds or other physical sensations may cause
      you to tense up or get emotional. Certain type thoughts
      or emotions, like lustful ones, may lead to diverting
      your focus. When these subconscious reactivities come
      to the surface under the light of the Witness, you
      will be free from their power.

      There is no doubt that if you realized that your head
      has been hurting because you have been banging it
      against a wall, you would stop doing it. And your
      pain would disappear. Similarly, when you cease reacting
      to the conscious and subconscious distractions that
      have been banging you around, your concentration will
      be firm and your meditation will flow freely to you,
      infinitely and eternally. These are the good things
      bad meditations present to you. Most importantly, they
      almost force you to seek refuge in your Witness, and
      the more you do, the more you realize and experience
      the reality of your union with the pure consciousness
      that is your real identity. And your suffering ends.
      So, when you are having a "bad" meditation, it is a
      tremendous opportunity to learn and evolve. All the
      things that have been interfering with your at-oneness
      with your Witness will be laid bare before you.
      Therefore, when you're having any type meditation,
      it's "good" and leads to the inevitable – living happily
      ever after.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
          Just wanted to mention that when we get emails or talk
          to people about their having "bad" meditations, as you
          can see, we share this Concept of Meditation here. This
          week we had several such emails and conversations.

          When you stir up the dirt covering the surface
          of your field of heavenly dreams, dust always comes
          up. This is an opportunity to see "who" is reacting
          to it and Who" witnesses it, as well as just physically,
          mentally and emotionally reacting in a rote fashion .
          And that's "good".

          So, perhaps reading this again, or for the 1st time, will
          be of benefit to you. That is certainly the intention.
          Enjoy!