Re: Meditation can cut heart attacks by as much as half

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2011
      This article was written by Richard Alleyne, who is
      the Science Correspondent for the Daily Telegraph
      and Telegraph.co.uk
      It appeared on the http://www.telegraph.co.uk web site
      6/27/11. It does not deal with the question of the value
      of spending approximately $3000 for TM's mantra verses
      using a free one (such as OM, or any other
      word or phrase repeated over and over).

> [...]
      > "The prevention of heart attack and stroke and
      > actual lengthening of lifespan by an alternative
      > treatment method is exceedingly rare, if not unprecedented.
      > "If Transcendental Meditation were a drug conferring so many benefits, it would be a billion-dollar blockbuster."
      > Stress is a major factor in heart disease and
      > meditation experts say the technique can help control it.
      >
      > Researchers at the Medical College of Wisconsin
      > followed 201 men and women with an average age of
      > 59 who suffered from the narrowing of arteries in
      > their hearts for nine years.
      >
      > Half of the group were taught Transcendental
      > Meditation along with their normal treatment
      > while the others just received advice on how
      > to modify their diets and exercise routines.
      >
      > They found that those who regularly meditated
      > reduced their chances of dying or having a heart
      > attack or stroke by 47 per cent compared with
      > those who received traditional care.
      >
      > In those who were particularly enthusiastic about
      > the meditation or unusually susceptible to stress,
      > the results were even stronger.
      >
      > They showed a two-thirds reduction in chances
      > of dying during the trial.
      >
      > Professor Theodore Kotchen, the co-author of
      > the £2.5 million trial, said: "These findings
      > are the strongest documented effects yet produced
      > by a mind-body intervention on cardiovascular disease.
      >
      > "The effect is as large or larger than major
      > categories of drug treatment for cardiovascular disease."
      >
      > "This study builds on previous research findings
      > showing that the Transcendental Meditation program
      > reduces high blood pressure, high cholesterol,
      > insulin resistance, psychological stress, and
      > atherosclerosis, and takes it to the next step —
      > lower rates of death, heart attack, and stroke,"
      > explained Dr Robert Schneider, co-author.
      >
      > The research was carried out in the African American
      > population but there is no reason that the same results
      > would not be repeated in the wider world.
      >
      > Cardiovascular disease is Britain's biggest killer
      > accounting for almost 200,000 deaths a year.
      >
      > The researchers said that meditation technique
      > should be used as a compliment to the usual drug
      > treatment and not as an alternative.
      >
      > Transcendental meditation. which is based on an
      > ancient tradition of enlightenment in India, involves
      > sitting quietly and concentrating to focus the
      > mind inwards by silently repeating a mantra – a word or phrase.
      >
      > The practice, which is carried out for 20 minutes,
      > twice a day, is said to induce inner peace by allowing
      > thoughts to flow in and out of the mind.
      >
      > It was popularised in the 1960s through the Beatles
      > who learnt the technique through their guru
      > Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
      >
      > The study was due to appear in Archives of Internal
      > Medecine but last night its editor said publication
      > was being delayed while last minute data provided by
      > the research team was analysed.
      > This article is being shared for non-commercial
      > purposes only nad thus is sanctioned by the Fair

    • walto
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011

        > This article was written by Richard Alleyne, who is
        > the Science Correspondent for the Daily Telegraph
        > and Telegraph.co.uk
        > It appeared on the http://www.telegraph.co.uk web site
        > 6/27/11. It does not deal with the question of the value
        > of spending approximately $3000 for TM's mantra verses
        > using a free one (such as OM, or any other
        > word or phrase repeated over and over).

        With apologies for the plug, if anybody is interested, I discuss the age-old issue of what (if any) difference it makes which words one repeats while meditating in _The Perennial Solution Center_:

        http://www.amazon.com/Perennial-Solution-Center-Walter-Horn/dp/1591095697

        Best,