Mood Changes as a result of meditation

  • SN
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2011
      I have recently returned to practice after more than a decade away from it. Tuesday, I sat for 30 minutes and had a nice session, but Wednesday morning, I woke up completely depressed. I am rarely a depressed person. Is this a normal experience of a beginning meditation practice, or is something else going on? I tend to think it was a reaction to the meditation, because my exercise, eating, and other daily routines have not changed. Thank you all for your insight.

      Shelly
    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2011
        Dear Shelly,

        What the cause is........is really of little importance.

        That, it is so............is so.

        Depression is really........un-
        enthusiastic anger.

        Again, what that anger is about is of little importance.

        Where does this feeling, which is a thought with maybe an associated sensation in the body-mind object....

        ...where has this thought got anchored?

        Where has that thought of "woke up completely  depressed" found a home to rest?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2011
          "SN" <shellybn@...> wrote:

          > I have recently returned to practice after more than a decade away from it. Tuesday, I sat for 30 minutes and had a nice session, but Wednesday morning, I woke up completely depressed. I am rarely a depressed person. Is this a normal experience of a beginning meditation practice, or is something else going on? I tend to think it was a reaction to the meditation, because my exercise, eating, and other daily routines have not changed. Thank you all for your insight.
          >
          > Shelly

          Yo Shelly,
          Perhaps we can say that a meditation is beneficial if it
          puts you in touch (and feeling and thought, etc) with
          the Witness to your life. And any resulting depression
          or bliss, or whatever, is not as relevant as the actual
          witnessing. Witnessing is an opening of the gate of
          Self knowledge and reality.

          "Who" witnessed the depression you feel the technique you
          used brought about? Whatever the specific technique was,
          it seems that it did bring you to witnessing your so
          called state of Being ("completely depressed"), and that may
          not be such a bad thing. Perhaps it woke you up in a way
          that previously you would have never recognized that a
          cloud of depression had covered you. And that would be
          what St Martha would call "A good thing". So maybe you
          don't have to end your meditation practice and in fact
          should continue your "reboot", but maybe with a different
          method.

          A functional way of gauging whether a meditation is right
          for you is if doing it produces "bad" results (takes your
          peace away). If it brings you peace, it can be considered
          "good". Being a Witness to your life as it is, without
          good or bad judgments is a fine result from a meditation
          technique, and apparently doing this one, this one time,
          did do this. If you want to check out other techniques
          you could consider checking out our web site, Meditation
          Station, at http://www.meditationsociety.com You'll find
          dozens of "how-to" methods methods that are freely shared,
          applicable to every philosophy and religion, and aimed
          at helping you evolve in consciousness without any economic,
          cult or religious obligations involved. Similarly, there
          is an amazing wealth of wisdom to be found on The Covenant at
          http://www.the-covenant.net/ where Sandeep shares a wide
          variety of opportunities to "Get IT!" Another great
          resource is Sri Bruce Morgen's site Come to Realization at
          http://www.atman.net/realization/ There are many other
          excellent meditation resources, but the best one is you
          your-Self. Persevere and you will soon experience that
          there is no better way to know "good" than to use the
          tool of Meditation.

        • walto
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "SN" <shellybn@...> wrote:

            > I have recently returned to practice after more than a decade away from it. Tuesday, I sat for 30 minutes and had a nice session, but Wednesday morning, I woke up completely depressed. I am rarely a depressed person. Is this a normal experience of a beginning meditation practice, or is something else going on? I tend to think it was a reaction to the meditation, because my exercise, eating, and other daily routines have not changed. Thank you all for your insight.
            >
            > Shelly

            Hi, Shelly.

            You indicate that you had a "nice session." Can you say a bit more about how you meditated, and what (if anything) you meditatated on? Can you think of anything that come up that might have set you off the next day? Maybe something popped up that you quickly repressed?

            Best,