Hasidic Wisdom

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 11:40 AM
      The Two Generals

      Once, a distraught man came to Rabbi Levi Yitzhak
      of Berdichev. Standing in the rabbi's study, he said,
      "Rabbi, my business partners are about to make a
      terrible mistake. They want to take a new associate.
      But the man they have chosen does not even love God!"

      Rabbi Levi Yitzhak looked worried. "Yes, that would
      be very bad. But tell me about this man they chose.
      Is he generous?"

      "Well, yes, Rabbi. He even gives huge banquets and
      invites the poor. But he isn't pious!"

      "And tell me," the Rabbi continued. "When others succeed,
      is he happy or jealous?"

      "I guess he is happy. When I recently received the
      honor of providing the local count with supplies,
      this man invited me to his house to congratulate me.
      But he doesn't even attend synagogue!"

      "I see. My friend, I would like to tell you a story."
      The rabbi stood up and began pacing back and forth
      as he spoke:

      "There was once a king whose land was being invaded
      by a mighty army. His general went out with many
      soldiers to repel the invaders, but was defeated.
      So the king appointed another general. The second
      general succeeded.

      "Now the royal counsellors came to the king with
      an accusation: the first general, they said, had
      obviously been a traitor. If not, he would have won.
      After all, he commanded the same army that later prevailed!

      "The king was in a quandary. This accusation was
      very serious. But how would the king determine
      whether the first general had tried to succeed
      or had purposely failed?

      "Unable to solve this problem, the king summoned
      an old man who lived at the edge of the city, who
      was known for his wisdom. When the old man heard
      the king's tale, he said, "I will devise a test,
      your majesty. Please schedule a victory parade for
      the winning general!"

      "Two days later, the city turned out for the parade.
      As the victorious general marched through the city,
      the grateful populace lined the streets. They cheered
      and shouted praises for the one who had saved them
      from their enemy.

      "The old man had arranged for the parade to pass
      the home of the first general, who had failed. When
      the victor strode by, the defeated general stood at
      his window, cheering as loudly as all the others,
      throwing flowers across his rival's path.

      "The old man returned to the king. 'Have no fear,
      your majesty! The first general loves you so much
      that he even rejoices when his rival achieves a
      victory for you.'"

      Rabbi Levi Yitzhak stopped his pacing and looked at
      the man in his study. "You see, my friend, we are
      all created by God to strive against the evil
      inclination within us. Many of us love God deeply
      but are defeated in that bitter struggle against
      our evil urges.

      "How can you recognize those who honestly struggle
      to love God but have been defeated? By their ability
      to share whole-heartedly in the happiness of God's
      other children.

      "My friend, please help this man obey all the
      commandments, if you can. But as long as he shows
      this deep, enthusiastic love for other struggling
      humans, you must never doubt his love for God!"
      permission from the copyright owner.