Repost from 2004 - Excellent Meditation Wisdom

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2011
      Being reposted by request of a member who
      says this is "the best" advise he ever got:

      Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche: Practice in Everyday Life
      The everyday practice is simply to develop
      a complete carefree acceptance, an openness to
      all situations without limit.

      We should realize openness as the playground
      of our emotions and relateto people without artificiality, manipulation or strategy.

      We should experience everything totally,
      never withdrawing into ourselves as a marmot hides
      in its hole. This practice releases
      tremendous energy which is usually constricted
      by the process of maintaining fixed reference
      points. Referentiality is the process by
      which we retreat from the direct experience of everyday life.

      Being present in the moment may initially
      trigger fear. But by welcoming the sensation of
      fear with complete openness, we cut
      through the barriers created by habitual
      emotional patterns.

      When we engage in the practice of discovering
      space, we should develop the feeling of opening
      ourselves out completely to the entire
      universe. We should open ourselves with
      absolute simplicity and nakedness of
      mind.This is the powerful and ordinary
      practice of dropping the mask of self-protection.

      We shouldn't make a division in our meditation
      between perception and field of perception. We
      shouldn't become like a cat watching a mouse.
      We should realize that the purpose of meditation
      is not to go "deeply into ourselves" or withdraw
      from the world. Practice should be free
      and non-conceptual, unconstrained by
      introspection and concentration.

      Vast unoriginated self-luminous wisdom space
      is the ground of being - the beginning and the end
      of confusion. The presence of awareness in the
      primordeal state has no bias toward enlightenment or
      non-enlightenment. This ground of being which
      is known as pure or original mind is the source
      from which all phenomena arise. It is known as
      the great mother, as the womb of potentiality in which
      all things arise and dissolve in natural self-perfectedness
      and absolute spontaneity.

      All aspects of phenomena are completely clear
      and lucid. The whole universe is open and unobstructed
      - everything is mutually interpenetrating.

      Seeing all things as naked, clear and free from
      obscurations, there is nothing to attain or realize.
      The nature of phenomena appears naturally and is
      naturally present in time-transcending awareness.
      Everything is naturally perfect just as it is.
      All phenomena appear in their uniqueness as part
      of the continually changing pattern. These patterns
      are vibrant with meaning and significance at every
      moment; yet there is no significance to attach
      to such meanings beyond the moment in
      which they present themselves.

      This is the dance of the five elememts in which
      matter is a symbol of energy and energy a symbol
      of emptiness. We are a symbol of our own
      enlightenment. With no effort or practice whatsoever,
      liberation or enlightenment is already here.

      The everyday practice is just everyday life itself.
      Since the undeveloped state does not exist, there
      is no need to behave in any special way or attempt
      to attain anything above and beyond what you
      actually are.

      There should be no feeling of striving
      to reach some "amazing goal" or "advanced state."

      To strive for such a state is a neurosis which only conditions us
      serves to obstruct the free flow of Mind. We should also avoid
      thinking of ourselves as worthless persons - we are naturally free
      unconditioned. We are intrinsically enlightened and lack nothing.

      When engaging in meditation practice, we should feel it to be as
      natural as eating, breathing and defecating. It should not become
      specialized or formal event, bloated with seriousness and
      solemnity. We
      should realize that meditation transcends effort, practice, aims,
      goals and
      the duality of liberation and non-liberation.

      Meditation is always ideal; there is no need to correct
      anything. Since
      everything that arises is simply the play of mind as such, there
      is no
      unsatisfactory meditation and no need to judge thoughts as good or

      Therefore we should simply sit. Simply stay in your own place, in
      your own condition just as it is. Forgetting self-conscious
      feelings, we
      do not have to think "I am meditating." Our practice should be
      effort, without strain, without attempts to control or force and
      without trying to become "peaceful."

      If we find that we are disturbing ourselves in any of these ways,
      stop meditating and simply rest or relax for a while. Then we
      our meditation. If we have "interesting experiences" either during
      or after meditation, we should avoid making anything special of
      To spend time thinking about experiences is simply a distraction
      and an
      attempt to become unnatural. These experiences are simply signs of
      practice and should be regarded as transient events. We should not
      attempt to reexperience them because to do so only serves to
      the natural spontaneity of mind.

      All phenomena are completely new and fresh, absolutely unique and
      entirely free from all concepts of past, present and future. They
      are experienced in timelessness.

      The continual stream of new discovery, revelation and inspiration
      which arises at every moment is the manifestation of our clarity.
      should learn to see everyday life as mandala - the luminous
      fringes of
      experience which radiate spontaneously from the empty nature of our
      being. The aspects of our mandala are the day-to-day objects of
      life experience moving in the dance or play of the universe. By
      symbolism the inner teacher reveals the profound and ultimate
      of being. Therefore we should be natural and spontaneous,
      accepting and learning from everything. This enables us to see the
      ironic and amusing side of events that usually irritate us.

      In meditation we can see through the illusion of past, present and
      future - our experience becomes the continuity of nowness. The
      is only an unreliable memory held in the present. The future is
      only a
      projection of our present conceptions. The present itself vanishes
      as soon as we try to grasp it. So why bother with attempting to
      establish an illusion of solid ground?

      We should free ourselves from our past memories and preconceptions
      meditation. Each moment of meditation is completely unique and
      of potentiality. In such moments, we will be incapable of judging
      meditation in terms of past experience, dry theory or hollow

      Simply plunging directly into meditation in the moment now, with
      whole being, free from hesitation, boredom or excitement, -is-