Re: [Meditation Society of America] How Do We Know?

  • sandeep chatterjee
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2011

      --- On Mon, 4/11/11, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] How Do We Know?
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 7:27 AM

      Thanks to Sri Sandeep's excellent posts,
      I have found a few Rabbi stories I think
      are worth sharing. Enjoy!
      How Do We Know?

      Some students of the Baal Shem Tov came to him one day with a question. "Every year we travel here to learn from you. Nothing could make us
      stop doing that. But we have learned of a man in our own town who claims to be a tzaddik, a righteous one. If he is genuine, we would love to profit from his wisdom. But how will we know if he is a fake?"

      The Baal Shem Tov looked at his earnest hasidim.
      "You must test him by asking him a question." He paused. "You have had difficulty with stray thoughts during prayer?"

      "Yes!" The hasidim answered eagerly. "We try to think only of our holy intentions as we pray, but other thoughts come into our minds. We have tried many methods not to be troubled by them."

      "Good," said the Baal Shem Tov. "Ask him the way to stop such thoughts from entering your minds."
      The Baal Shem Tov smiled. "If he has an answer, he is a fake."

      :-))

      BST was a DoooobeeeDooooo dude.

      Some Americans were visting Baal Shem.
      Looking around and seeing the stark frugality of stuff around the room where Baal Shem was staying, one of the Americans with a Texan drawl, asked "Where's all your furniture?
      Baal Shem asked back "Where's yours?"
      The Texan replied "Oh I am just visiting".
      Baal Shem replied " So am I".

      .