How Do We Know?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2011
      Thanks to Sri Sandeep's excellent posts,
      I have found a few Rabbi stories I think
      are worth sharing. Enjoy!
      How Do We Know?

      Some students of the Baal Shem Tov came to him
      one day with a question. "Every year we travel
      here to learn from you. Nothing could make us
      stop doing that. But we have learned of a man
      in our own town who claims to be a tzaddik,
      a righteous one. If he is genuine, we would
      love to profit from his wisdom. But how will
      we know if he is a fake?"

      The Baal Shem Tov looked at his earnest hasidim.
      "You must test him by asking him a question."
      He paused. "You have had difficulty with stray
      thoughts during prayer?"

      "Yes!" The hasidim answered eagerly. "We try to
      think only of our holy intentions as we pray, but
      other thoughts come into our minds. We have tried
      many methods not to be troubled by them."

      "Good," said the Baal Shem Tov. "Ask him the way
      to stop such thoughts from entering your minds."
      The Baal Shem Tov smiled. "If he has an answer, he is a fake."
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2011

[...]

        :-))

        BST was a DoooobeeeDooooo dude.

        Some Americans were visting Baal Shem.
        Looking around and seeing the stark frugality of stuff around the room where Baal Shem was staying, one of the Americans with a Texan drawl, asked "Where's all your furniture?
        Baal Shem asked back "Where's yours?"
        The Texan replied "Oh I am just visiting".
        Baal Shem replied " So am I".

        .