Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Feb 18, 2011
      Become Still

      "Chitta vritti nirodaha means calming all
      the turmoil in the mind, all the waves in
      the mind. The purpose of Yoga is not to
      create any waves in the mind. Keep the mind
      still. Then, you will see your True Self in
      the still water of the peaceful mind. Look
      in a bowl of water that has waves upon its
      surface. Can you see your face clearly? No.
      If you stop all the waves, you can see your
      face clearly. But what should you do to stop
      the waves? Should you put your hands on the
      water's surface and try smoothing out the
      ripples? You can't. What should you do?
      Don't touch the water. Don't shake it.
      The water becomes still by itself.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda