Meditation For Real

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011
      When we sit in meditation amazing insights
      and experiences fill us up and heal us. But
      the best part of a meditative life occurs
      when we have an ongoing awareness of our
      life as it takes place. This can only happen
      if we are in the present, and that can't
      take place if we are rehashing the past or
      fantasizing about the future. Witness your
      inner chatterer babbling on and you'll see
      that 99% of what it is focusing on is not the
      moment to moment life that is your reality.
      Too often this uncontrolled chatter is making
      judgments and commenting about how this should
      have happened or that should occur or you'll
      be hurt or sad or ill, and so on. This makes
      you miss this moment and makes you reactive.
      One gift of meditation is the potential to have
      real Self control and actively focus on what
      you choose. On one level, this is what free
      will is all about. On the highest level, meditation
      shows us definitively that "Thy will be done"
      is always the case, and at that point, we are free
      from all decisions and just flow with "What Is".
      For now, in this and every moment, what we can
      do is put into practice a few meditative methods
      that will open ourselves to our Self. One thing
      would be to have inner check points where we
      consciously witness what our mind is speaking
      about and if it is a negative recital, drop it
      as quick as you would a bag filled with snakes
      about to break out and bite you. At many times
      during the day we should also check out what
      tension we are keeping in our body and command
      the tension to relax. Similarly, we will benefit
      greatly from witnessing our emotional state and
      change it (at least) to one of dispassion and
      if possible, to serenity. And by being regular
      in our sitting in meditation practice, we become
      more and more able to bring the calm, clarity and
      bliss to our moment to moment experience and that
      is the difference between just going through the
      motions of having a life and existing for Real.
    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011

        When we sit in meditation amazing insights and experiences fill us up and heal us. But the best part of a meditative life occurs when we have an ongoing awareness of our life as it takes place. This can only happen if we are in the present, and that can't take place if we are rehashing the past or fantasizing about the future.

        ---------

        Or, to see that the rehashing and the fantasizing can only take place in the present-now.

        Thus the present-now as its very content.....  is all that is.

        ----------

         Witness your inner chatterer babbling on and you'll see
        that 99% of what it is focusing on is not the moment to moment life that is your reality.

        Too often this uncontrolled chatter is making judgments and commenting about how this should have happened or that should occur or you'll
        be hurt or sad or ill, and so on. This makes you miss this moment and makes you reactive.

        One gift of meditation is the potential to have real Self control and actively focus on what you choose. On one level, this is what free will is all about. On the highest level, meditation shows us definitively that "Thy will be done"
        is always the case, and at that point, we are free from all decisions and just flow with "What Is".

        -------

        Or, to see that even the seemingly petty personal decisions morphing into seemingly self centered actions .......

        .....and the seemingly pleasant/terrible consequences of such decisions/actions ....

        ....are also nuances of Thy Will getting done.....

        ... are also eddies of the flow of What Is.

        nnb