Why You Will Always Exist: Time Is 'On Demand'

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2011
      From the Huffington Post 2/10/11

      Why You Will Always Exist: Time Is 'On Demand'
      By Robert Lanza MD

      You've laughed and cried. And you may even fall
      in love and grow old with someone, only to be
      ripped apart in the end by death and disease.
      The universe leaves you dead or grieving with
      a hole in you as big as infinity.

      Are we part of a depraved cosmic joke, the
      product of a vast and ruthless universe?
      Through the eyes of science, you're a speck of
      junk spinning around the core of the Milky Way
      galaxy, which itself is whirling through the
      unfathomable blackness of space. It's all in
      the equations, you know. Nothing to get philosophical
      about. Nobel physicist Steven Weinberg summed it up best:
      The effort to understand the universe is one
      of the very few things that lifts human life a
      little bit above the level of a farce and gives
      it some of the grace of a tragedy.

      Can life really be reduced to the laws of
      physics? Or are we -- as all the great spiritual
      leaders of the world have intuited -- part of
      something higher, which is more noble and triumphant?

      The latter is hard for us to rationally comprehend,
      since we've had more years of scientific
      indoctrination than monks get in monasteries.
      In Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land,"
      Jubal said we're prisoners of our early indoctrinations,
      "for it is hard, very nearly impossible, to shake
      off one's earliest training." We've been taught
      since grade school that life is an accidental
      byproduct of the laws of physics, and that the
      Universe is a dreary play of billiard balls.

      True, science has brought us countless insights
      that have transformed our lives. It's amazingly
      good at figuring out how the parts work. The clock
      has been taken apart, and we can accurately count
      the number of teeth in each wheel and gear. We
      know Mars rotates in 24 hours, 37 minutes and 23
      seconds. What eludes us is the big picture, which
      unfortunately encompasses all the bottom-line
      issues: What is the nature of this thing we call reality?

      Any honest summary of the current state of explaining
      the universe as a whole: a swamp. And in this
      Everglade, the alligators of common sense must
      be evaded at every turn.

      Some scientists insist a Theory of Everything
      is just around the corner. But it hasn't happened
      and won't happen until we understand a critical
      component of the cosmos -- a component that
      has been shunted out of the way because science
      doesn't know what to do with it. "Consciousness"
      isn't a small item; it's an utter mystery, which
      we think has somehow arisen from molecules and goo.

      In short, the attempt to explain the nature of
      the universe and what's really going on requires
      an understanding of how the observer -- our
      presence -- plays a role. Our entire education
      and language revolves around a mindset that
      assumes a separate universe "out there." It's
      further assumed we accurately perceive this
      external reality and play little or no role in
      its appearance.

      However, starting in the '20s, experiments have
      shown the opposite: The observer critically
      influences the outcome. The experiments have
      been performed so many times, with so many
      variations, it's conclusively proven that a
      particle's behavior depends upon the very act
      of observation. The results of these experiments
      have befuddled scientists for decades. Some
      of the greatest physicists have described them
      as impossible to intuit.

      Amazingly, if we accept a life-created reality,
      it all becomes simple to understand, and you
      can explain some of the biggest puzzles of
      science. For instance, it becomes clear why
      space and time -- and even the properties of
      matter itself -- depend on the observer. Remember:
      You can't see through the bone surrounding
      your brain. Space and time are simply the mind's
      tools for putting everything together.

      According to current scientific myth, all
      your struggles and tears are ultimately in
      vain. After you die and the human race is long
      gone, it'll be as if nothing in your life ever existed.

      Not so, says biocentrism: Reality isn't a thing,
      it's a process that involves our consciousness.
      Life is a melody so vast and eternal that human
      ears can't appreciate the tonal range of the symphony.
      Time is the mind's tool that animates the notes,
      the individual frames of the spatial world. "There's
      no way to remove the observer -- us -- from our
      perceptions of the world," said Stephen Hawking.
      "The past, like the future, is indefinite and
      exists only as a spectrum of possibilities." You,
      the observer, collapse these possibilities, the
      cascade of events we call the universe.

      Our consciousness animates the universe like an
      old phonograph. Listening to it doesn't alter
      the record, and depending on where the needle is
      placed, you hear a certain piece of music. This
      is what we call "now." The songs before and after
      are the past and future. In like manner, you,
      your loved ones and friends (and sadly, the
      villains too) endure always. The record doesn't
      go away. All nows exist simultaneously, although
      we can only listen to the songs one by one.
      Time is On Demand.

      "The most important thing I learned," said Billy
      Pilgrim in Kurt Vonnegut's novel "Slaughterhouse
      Five," "was that when a person dies, he only appears
      to die. He is still very much alive in the past, so
      it is very silly for people to cry at his funeral.
      All moments, past, present and future, always
      have existed, always will exist."
      ***
      "Biocentrism" (co-authored with astronomer Bob Berman) lays out Lanza's theory of everything.
      As this article is being posted for educational
      and non-profit purposes only, it is allowed under
      the Fair Use statutes.