Where is the Soul

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2011
      By Swami Krishnanadaji Maharaj

      There was an old lady who could not see properly.
      She was almost blind. She was living in a small
      house without light, in a village with no
      electricity. She was poor and was living by
      sewing cloth with a needle. That was her profession.
      One day she lost that needle. It fell inside
      somewhere, and because it was dark, she could not
      see, as the eyes also were not good. She went outside
      into the bright sun, and started searching for the
      needle. Some people who came that way asked her what
      she was searching. She said that she was searching
      for the needle that she dropped somewhere. "Where did
      you drop it" they asked.

      "I dropped it inside," she said.

      "But why are you searching for it outside, in the sun?"

      "Because inside there is no light. Outside there is
      light, so I am searching for it here," she answered.

      This is the story of the soul. It is lost somewhere,
      but the searching is elsewhere. Where do we search?
      We look for it in enjoyments of life in living a
      comfortable existence; in trying to lengthen our
      physical life; in making more and more money; in
      increasing name, fame, authority, and power; in
      becoming king, minister, dictator, and all that.
      This is the way we try to find the soul, but we
      have lost it somewhere else.

      This whole world of perception is the light of the
      sun, and we are searching for the soul by moving from
      place to place, here and there, like the old lady who
      searched for the needle in the light of the sun; but
      the needle is inside, in the dark corner of one's
      own heart.

      But, we are not finding it in the dark corner. It is
      dark; there is no light inside. In the heart, there
      is no light. The light is outside in the sense world.
      We have electric light, sunlight, moonlight and
      starlight. So, why not enjoy the light that is already
      there, and search for the soul outside? Thus, you
      go everywhere, travel the whole world twenty times,
      and try to find the soul, like the lady searching for
      the needle outside, but it is in the dark corner of
      the heart. You can meditate on the soul.

      Sri Swami Krishnanadaji Maharaj was the General
      Secretary of the Divine Light Society. This gem is one
      of the many treasures of spiritual wisdom shared on
      Swamiji's web site at: http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/
      permission from the copyright owner.