RE: [Meditation Society of America] Overcoming Depression with Meditation

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2011

      I’m inclined to agree, Sean.  Example: members of one side of my family suffered from what was termed “melancholia”, going back some generations.

      From: drfmrls <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 10:18 PM

      Overcoming Depression with Meditation

      By Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya

      "Depression is itself only a direct symptomatic manifestation of the radical secularization of human society. Previous to secular modernity, depression was a much less prevalent phenomenon. And when it was experienced, the reasons were more clearly environmental and causal than they are now. In the past, depression was directly associated with a specific event or occurrence in the person's life that directly caused the depression. Today, however, an increasing number of depressed persons are experiencing more generalized depression, a type of general existential angst, the exact cause of which is difficult for them to pinpoint. Some of the leading causes of depression today include a sense of meaninglessness; consuming and generalized fear; spiritual crises, and the high degrees of stress and anxiety that has become accepted as normal in modern, radically secularized, everyday life. The ultimate cure for society's present crisis of depression and meaninglessness is to re-embrace a life of meaning, a life of Dharma...."

      Please forward this information to all sincere spiritual seekers. Feel free to publish the entire article on your website, blog, Facebook or social site.

      Aum Tat Sat