Overcoming Depression with Meditation

  • drfmrls
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2011
      Overcoming Depression with Meditation

      By Sri Dharma Pravartaka Acharya

      "Depression is itself only a direct symptomatic manifestation of the radical secularization of human society. Previous to secular modernity, depression was a much less prevalent phenomenon. And when it was experienced, the reasons were more clearly environmental and causal than they are now. In the past, depression was directly associated with a specific event or occurrence in the person's life that directly caused the depression. Today, however, an increasing number of depressed persons are experiencing more generalized depression, a type of general existential angst, the exact cause of which is difficult for them to pinpoint. Some of the leading causes of depression today include a sense of meaninglessness; consuming and generalized fear; spiritual crises, and the high degrees of stress and anxiety that has become accepted as normal in modern, radically secularized, everyday life. The ultimate cure for society's present crisis of depression and meaninglessness is to re-embrace a life of meaning, a life of Dharma...."

      VISIT HERE TO READ THE REST OF THIS INFORMATIVE ARTICLE:

      http://www.dharmacentral.com/forum/content.php?27-Depression

      Please forward this information to all sincere spiritual seekers. Feel free to publish the entire article on your website, blog, Facebook or social site.

      Aum Tat Sat
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2011
        Sir,
         I agree depression can be treated with meditation, but I am not so sure about the increase in depression in modern times or the observation that depression in the past is the result of a singular event.  Many people past and present suffer depression undiagnosed and untreated, I think that the rise in depression may be the result of advances in the science of psychology and our ability to recognize the symptoms as well as a shift in our culture towards people seeking treatment, in the past people were reluctant to seek help with emotional problems.  Also clinical depression is often the result of a chemical imbalance that may or may not be the result of a catalytic event.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2011

          I’m inclined to agree, Sean.  Example: members of one side of my family suffered from what was termed “melancholia”, going back some generations.

          Aideen