Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
      Attention.

      This means that when we are practicing,
      we should always cut off thoughts and
      guard against their arising. As soon
      as a thought arises we destroy it through
      attention. As a patriarch stated,
      "Do not fear the arising of thoughts; only be
      concerned lest your awareness of them be tardy."
      A gatha says, "There is no need to search
      for truth; you need only put all views to rest."
      This is the method of extinguishing delusion
      through attention.

      Chinul (1205)
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011
        Why practice quiet sitting?
        So you can really get a look
        At your original mind.
        You look at it coming, look at it going,
        And then you know you're the original person.
        This latter age has no deep faith,
        No one practices the
        Direct road to understanding.
        All they do is flap three inches of tongue
        And lose themselves in the muddle of the mind.

        - Gensei (1623-1668)
      • cris angel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011

          smiles frm N Thailnd

          Mbl sent

        • sandeep chatterjee
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
            A Master in grave soto voce.........explained to the gathering...

            "If you believe a Zen master speaks to make you understand........you  are mistaken .

            He speaks to totally confound you.......... so that  you give up in disgust and forsake understanding altogether.

            If you say, Ummon's staff isn't real, he'll hit you with it;

            if you say it exists, he will break it in two and throw it in the fire, and ask you to lean on its ashes."

            Came a voice from the audience..

            "I hope this wasn't Ummon's approach ......when propositioned for oral sex.

            Or was that why..... he was known to have a very funny walk."

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011

              Hah!

              One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

              Aideen

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
              • walto
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

                  > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                  > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

                  When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
                  When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

                  ;>}

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
                    The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
                    suppose that I am here and you are out there.

                    Yasutani Roshi

                    permission from the copyright owner.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                      "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
                      in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
                      faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
                      not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
                      facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
                      unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
                      said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
                      loses every day."

                      Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
                      permission from the copyright owner.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                        Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                        to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                        but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                        He made the following rules, which he practiced
                        every day of his life.

                        In the morning before dressing, light incense
                        and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                        Partake of food at regular intervals.
                        Eat with moderation and never to the point
                        of satisfaction.

                        Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                        have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                        attitude you have in receiving guests.

                        Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                        When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                        yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                        the past. Look to the future.

                        Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                        loving heart of a child.

                        Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                        last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                        you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                        permission from the copyright owner.