Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Most Complete Reference Site to Everything

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Yo Robin,
      This article "What is Meditation" from our
      website may give you a starting point for
      understanding and experiencing meditation:
      http://www.meditationsociety.com/what.html
      After checking out this general "game plan",
      I suggest trying a few methods on the site, and when you find
      one that "works" (brings you peace), focus on
      that one.
      Usually it is said that most people find that mantra
      meditation is the easiest method to still the mind.
      By the repeating of just one word or phrase over
      and over, you don't give the monkey mind room to
      swing all over every tree in the mind's jungle.
      One method that incorporates breathing (my favorite)
      methods and mantra is the Relaxation Response. The
      "how to" about it can be found here:
      http://altmedicine.about.com/od/mindbodytechniques/a/relaxationresp.htm
      I think the statistic is 100% of the people who try
      it find that it works!?!?! And it's approximately
      $3000 cheaper than TM charges for one Mantra.
      Mindfulness, enquery into "Who am I?", focusing on
      just one concept or subject, for instance Love,
      and seeing how much you know about it without becoming
      distracted, and witnessing your breath are some of the
      most usual ways people have found bring them to the still
      mind you ask to know. But the key to it all is actually
      doing meditation. Just reading about it or watching CD's or
      going to classes won't help as much as actually making
      meditation a part of your life just as consistently as
      brusing your teeth is. And the smile you get from this
      will shine much brighter than your teeth ever could.
      I wish you well.