Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Most Complete Reference Site to Everything

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
      On 12/31/2010 5:29 PM, medit8ionsociety wrote:
      > "If you can't still your mind to find peace, perhaps
      > you should try to get to the same place by filling it."
      >
      > Kir Li Molari
      >
      > http://www.refdesk.com/

      My wife has sworn by refdesk for
      many years -- it's a great site.
    • onecoolgranny2@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
        How? I try to calm my mind and I haven't been able to get to a place where I can relax and still my mind.
        Robin

        From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        Sender: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:29:39 -0000
        To: <meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Meditation Society of America] The Most Complete Reference Site to Everything

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          Yo Robin,
          This article "What is Meditation" from our
          website may give you a starting point for
          understanding and experiencing meditation:
          http://www.meditationsociety.com/what.html
          After checking out this general "game plan",
          I suggest trying a few methods on the site, and when you find
          one that "works" (brings you peace), focus on
          that one.
          Usually it is said that most people find that mantra
          meditation is the easiest method to still the mind.
          By the repeating of just one word or phrase over
          and over, you don't give the monkey mind room to
          swing all over every tree in the mind's jungle.
          One method that incorporates breathing (my favorite)
          methods and mantra is the Relaxation Response. The
          "how to" about it can be found here:
          http://altmedicine.about.com/od/mindbodytechniques/a/relaxationresp.htm
          I think the statistic is 100% of the people who try
          it find that it works!?!?! And it's approximately
          $3000 cheaper than TM charges for one Mantra.
          Mindfulness, enquery into "Who am I?", focusing on
          just one concept or subject, for instance Love,
          and seeing how much you know about it without becoming
          distracted, and witnessing your breath are some of the
          most usual ways people have found bring them to the still
          mind you ask to know. But the key to it all is actually
          doing meditation. Just reading about it or watching CD's or
          going to classes won't help as much as actually making
          meditation a part of your life just as consistently as
          brusing your teeth is. And the smile you get from this
          will shine much brighter than your teeth ever could.
          I wish you well.