Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Dec 25, 2010
      Have You Seen God?
      "One Hindu scripture goes to the extent
      of saying that if, by any chance, a person says,
      `I have seen God,' you can be sure that he or
      she has not seen God. The idea is that it is
      the intelligence, or the mind, that says,
      `I have seen God.' In reality, the mind can
      never see God. It is only when the mind ceases
      to be that God is experienced. So if the mind says,
      `I have seen God,' this is an utter falsehood.
      In fact, in everybody there is a divine element,
      or the godly personality within. It is the mind
      that, more or less, hides it from understanding
      its own self. So when the mind ceases to function,
      one realizes himself or herself to be that.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda