Essence of Christianity by Swami Chidananda

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2010
      To be rooted in the Divine, to be guided by
      the Divine, to recognise the reality of the
      Divine and the Divine alone, and to give
      secondary place to all that is other than
      the Divine is the sadhana, that is the great
      abhyasa. It is for this that strength has to
      be prayed for: "Deliver us from evil. Lead us
      not into temptation of succumbing to the
      influences, pulls and pressures of that which
      is other than the Divine, that which is other
      than your ideal, that which is other than the
      direction of your goal."

      In the midst of the many pulls and many
      pressures from other directions, to be what
      Jesus the Christ wished you to be, what
      Gurudev Swami Sivanandaji has clearly asked
      us to be, is the acid test of the authenticity
      and genuineness of our spirituality.

      The relevance of the teachings of Jesus is not
      merely the church nor merely the words of the
      Bible. The relevance of the teachings of Jesus
      is the fact that He is an ever-present Presence,
      that He is an eternal witness, a companion who
      walks by us, who lives with us and who notes
      every movement, every thought, within and
      without us. It is this presence of His divine
      personality that has outlived His own contemporary
      times and is powerfully present.

      Jesus the Christ is not dead; great ones who
      have merged in Brahman do not die. They step
      out of the body and continue to prevail, pervading
      all space as a Presence that is relevant to everyone
      who recognises kinship with them. The guru is
      eternal. The divine teachers are eternal. The
      relevance of Jesus and the Christianity that He
      taught is His divine presence here and now, and
      always unto worlds without end.

      One who is a believer, one who makes his life,
      words and actions a response to the call "Follow Me,"
      keep as one's touchstone or criterion for action:
      "If Jesus was by my side, what would I do in
      this particular situation? How would He have me
      behave at this moment, in this situation?" Your
      life should be an answer to this question. One
      should mould one's character and conduct, life
      and actions on the basis of this criterion. That
      is the essence of Christianity. Ponder this truth
      on the day of Christmas Eve. May Jesus be a living
      factor in our lives. Then indeed Christmas will
      become a turning point into a new life of light
      and wisdom.

      For more about and by Swami Chidananda:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/chida.htm