Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Dec 17, 2010
      Know Your Self

      "Imagine, you say, `My mind is totally upset
      today. Yesterday I was all peaceful, happy.
      Today, I am disturbed.' What is the common
      thing behind these statements? The common
      factor is that you know. You know that you
      are disturbed; you know you are not disturbed.
      The true you is that which knows everything,
      while the superficial you, is the mind.
      Although your mind is disturbed in some
      way today, the knower of your mind is not
      disturbed. Your mind was happy yesterday,
      and now, today, your mind is not happy.
      When you say your mind, then who are you?
      You might say, `I am my body, my mind, my
      intelligence, my ego.' Of course you seem
      to have those things. But, who are you in
      reality? Find out the answer. That is what
      you call, `knowing your Self.'

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.