Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Dec 11, 2010
      Slow and Steady Wins the Race

      "In Yoga asanas or in yogic breathing, one should
      never exert oneself. Always make sure you do the
      practices easily, without straining. That is a
      safe rule. There is no strenuous aspect in Yoga
      practices. In meditation, if you are going to
      fight with the mind, then the mind will become
      rather violent and it will threaten you. Then,
      whenever you sit for meditation the mind will
      revolt. So there is always an easy way of doing
      things, and we should not be hasty in our desire
      to get the real benefits. Let things come in
      their own time. Our duty is simply to do the
      practices continuously. If you do them slowly
      and steadily, you'll win the race.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda