A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2010
      You're sitting comfortably in your favorite
      spot, all is well, you're calm, cool, and
      collected. You start to meditate, perhaps
      repeating a mantra, and then you find you
      just can't concentrate. Let's say that you
      intend to say OM over and over. What sometimes
      happens is that after you say OM a few times,
      your inner chatterer starts making comments.
      It may go like this…"Om sounds like home. Boy,
      wouldn't it be nice to buy a new home." And
      then it continues "They just built a few new
      homes in New Jersey. If I take the turnpike I
      can get there pretty quickly. But there may be
      a lot of traffic. I might get stuck in it for hours",
      and so on, and so on. So, there you are, not
      just not experiencing OM, but now you're in
      gridlock and starting to feel road rage! Then,
      you realize that you've lost your concentration
      and instead of just returning to meditating
      on OM, your inner chatterer starts chastising
      you with statements like "You can't meditate!
      You're no good! You're incompetent!' and so on.
      Then it starts filling you with self-pity things
      like "I suffer so. If only I could control my
      mind, but I can't and never will." Of course,
      this is even further away from OM than driving
      on the turnpike. But there is also something
      very good happening as well, and it may prove
      to be far more beneficial in the long run than
      if you would have had a meditation that included
      visions of heaven and feelings of bliss.

      There is an awareness, a consciousness within you
      that is a silent Witness to everything your senses
      react with, your mind thinks, and your emotions
      feel. It has been witnessing since you were born.
      When you were a baby and couldn't judge, compare,
      or comment in any way about anything, it was
      already witnessing. As a matter of fact, this
      Witness is your only hope of eternal life. Your
      body will drop. Your thoughts and emotions will
      stop. These things have never had any permanence
      whatsoever. The only thing about them that never
      changes is that they are always changing. Our Witness
      is the only part of us that has been changeless and
      is the only part of us that has the possibility of
      surviving death. You are not your body, you are
      not your emotions, you are not your mind. The Witness
      is the Real Self. When you meditate it is the
      Witness who will recognize that you have stopped
      concentrating, or are distracted, or are demeaning
      yourself. You then can stop it and direct your
      consciousness to what is appropriate. This is Real Self-control.

      This puts you in the position of benefiting greatly
      when your attempt at meditation "fails". You will
      begin to recognize not just that you have lost
      your concentration, but what caused you to
      divert your attention. Sometimes you will be
      able to become aware of habitual behaviors that
      have distracted you. For instance, sounds or
      other physical sensations may cause you to tense
      up or get emotional. Certain type thoughts or
      emotions, like lustful ones, may lead to diverting
      your focus. When these subconscious reactivities
      come to the surface under the light of the Witness,
      you will be free from their power.

      There is no doubt that if you realized that
      your head has been hurting because you have been
      banging it against a wall, you would stop doing
      it. And your pain would disappear. Similarly,
      when you cease reacting to the conscious and
      subconscious distractions that have been banging
      you around, your concentration will be firm and
      your meditation will flow freely to you, infinitely
      and eternally. These are the good things bad
      meditations present to you. Most importantly,
      they almost force you to seek refuge in your Witness,
      and the more you do, the more you realize and
      experience the reality of your union with the
      pure consciousness that is your real identity.
      And your suffering ends. So, when you are having
      a "bad" meditation, it is a tremendous opportunity
      to learn and evolve. All the things that have
      been interfering with your at-oneness with your
      Witness will be laid bare before you. Therefore,
      when you're having any type meditation, it's "good"
      and leads to the inevitable – living happily ever after.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
            Just wanted to mention that when we get emails or talk
            to people about their having "bad" meditations, as you
            can see, we share this Concept of Meditation here. This
            week we had several such emails and conversations.

            When you stir up the dirt covering the surface
            of your field of heavenly dreams, dust always comes
            up. This is an opportunity to see "who" is reacting
            to it and Who" witnesses it, as well as just physically,
            mentally and emotionally reacting in a rote fashion .
            And that's "good".

            So, perhaps reading this again, or for the 1st time, will
            be of benefit to you. That is certainly the intention.
            Enjoy!