These are the indispensable Rules of the Naqshbandi Order:
1. Awareness of Breathing. The mind must
be attuned to be secretly aware of everything, even breath.
At the same time, the mind must pulsate with thoughts
of the Infinite (divine essence and omnipotence).
2. Travel in One's Own Land. It must be remembered
frequently that the Sufi is a 'traveler'- along the Sufi Path.
3. Watching the Feet. When walking, the seeker must
glue his gaze upon his steps. The secret meaning of
this is that he must be aware of where he is going,
in a metaphorical sense.
4. Solitude in Company. The mind is to be
repeatedly concentrated so that, even
in company with others, in the midst of distractions,
the Sufi may keep his thoughts relevant to his task.
5. Remembering. The Sufi must never forget that
he is a dedicated person.
6. Restraint. This refers to short prayers
which are used to punctuate
the repetitons of the
Dhikr. (religious technique used by Sufis, where
a name of God or a short religious phrase is
repeated over and over again. The object of
doing this varies somewhat; it could be to glorify
God or, as it is more common in Sufism, be the
means by which one tries to step out of
this world in order to come closer to God. The Arabic
term "dhikr" should be translated with "remembrance".)
7. Awareness. The mind must become aware that
there are many distractions. These are to be combated.
8. Recollection. Concentration must be possible
through thinking this word, and without words.
9. Pause of Time. During pauses in thinking,
the Sufi must recapitulate his actions, and examine them.
10. Pause of Numbers. Awareness that the required
number of repetitions of the Dhikr phrase have been completed.
11. Pause of the Heart.. During this pause the
mind is trained to visualize
the Seeker's heart
bearing the Name of Allah.
1. Hosh Dar Dam conscious breathing
2. Nazar Bar Qadam watch your step
3. Safar Dar Watan journey homeward
4. Khalwat Dar Anjuman solitude in the crowd
5. Yad Kard essential remembrance
6. Baz Gasht returning
7. Nigah Dasht attentiveness
8. Yada Dasht recollection
9. Wuquf Zamani awareness of time
10. Wuquf Adadi awareness of numbers
11. Wuquf Qalbi awareness of the heart