Stone Cutter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      There was once a stone cutter who was dissatisfied
      with himself and with his position in life. One day
      he passed a wealthy merchant's house. Through the
      open gateway, he saw many fine possessions and
      important visitors. "How powerful that merchant
      must be!" thought the stone cutter. He became very
      envious and wished that he could be like the
      merchant. To his great surprise, he suddenly became the
      merchant, enjoying more luxuries and power than
      he had ever imagined, but envied and detested by those
      less wealthy than himself.
      Soon a high official passed by, carried in a sedan
      chair, accompanied by attendants and escorted by soldiers
      beating gongs. Everyone, no matter how wealthy,
      had to bow low before the procession. "How powerful
      that official is!" he thought. "I wish that I
      could be a high official!" Then he became the high official,
      carried everywhere in his embroidered sedan chair,
      feared and hated by the people all around.
      It was a hot summer day, so the official felt very
      uncomfortable in the sticky sedan chair. He looked up at
      the sun. It shone proudly in the sky, unaffected
      by his presence. "How powerful the sun is!" he
      thought. "I wish that I could be the sun!" Then he
      became the sun, shining fiercely down on everyone,
      scorching the fields, cursed by the farmers and laborers.
      But a huge black cloud moved between him and the
      earth, so that his light could no longer shine on
      everything below. "How powerful that storm cloud is!"
      he thought. "I wish that I could be a cloud!"
      Then he became the cloud, flooding the fields
      and villages, shouted at by everyone.
      But soon he found that he was being pushed away
      by some great force, and realized that it was the wind.
      "How powerful it is!" he thought. "I wish that
      I could be the wind!" Then he became the wind, blowing
      tiles off the roofs of houses, uprooting trees,
      feared and hated by all below him.
      But after a while, he ran up against something
      that would not move, no matter how forcefully he blew
      against it - a huge, towering rock. "How powerful
      that rock is!" he thought. "I wish that I could be a rock!"
      Then he became the rock, more powerful than anything
      else on earth. But as he stood there, he heard the
      sound of a hammer pounding a chisel into the hard
      surface, and felt himself being changed. "What could
      be more powerful than I, the rock?" he thought. He
      looked down and saw far below him the figure of a
      stone cutter.

      Thanks to Jay Deuel for this story. Jay's home page is: http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jay/