Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Oct 29, 2010
      Master Your Self

      "Become the master of your mind. Do not allow
      your thoughts to run where they want. We always
      want to be the master over others, but we don't
      turn the tide inward. That's why Yoga begins with
      `Yoga Citta Vritti Nirodha,' which means,
      `Control of the mind is Yoga.' To control the
      mind, we have to keep it pure; keep it clean.
      To keep the mind clean, we have to keep the senses
      clean. And to keep the senses clean, we have to
      keep the body clean. Do Hatha Yoga to make the
      body healthy, so you can control it. Learn to
      regulate your breathing through pranayama and,
      gradually, you will be able to control your breath,
      your senses and then, ultimately, the mind.
      Once you have the purity of control, you become
      the master and you will realize the true Self.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter:

      http://twitter.com/SwSatchidananda
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda