Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Oct 2, 2010
      Protect Yourself

      "If you are going to be affected by others'
      negativity, how are you going to help them? Imagine
      this: A doctor goes to see a patient who is in a
      terrible condition and in a lot of pain. Upon
      seeing the patient, the compassionate doctor faints.
      Now, there are two patients! We need another doctor.
      So, keep your mind calm and steady and, then, offer
      your service. If you think that you'll be sucked
      into someone else's negativity, it's better to let
      there be one patient and not two patients. Protect
      yourself; make yourself strong before you go to
      help somebody else. Take care of that first. There's
      no rush to go there and add more problems.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      http://yogaandpeace.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda