Inner Voice Plays Role In Self-Control

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 8:32 AM
      Talking to yourself might not be a bad thing,
      especially when it comes to exercising self control.

      New research out of the University of Toronto
      Scarborough - published in this month's edition
      of Acta Psychologica - shows that using your
      inner voice plays an important role in controlling
      impulsive behaviour.

      "We give ourselves messages all the time with
      the intent of controlling ourselves - whether
      that's telling ourselves to keep running when
      we're tired, to stop eating even though we want
      one more slice of cake, or to refrain from
      blowing up on someone in an argument," says
      Alexa Tullett, PhD Candidate and lead author
      on the study. "We wanted to find out whether
      talking to ourselves in this 'inner voice' actually helps."

      Tullett and Associate Psychology Professor
      Michael Inzlicht, both at UTSC, performed a
      series of self control tests on participants.
      In one example, participants performed a test
      on a computer. If they saw a particular symbol
      appear on the screen, they were told to press
      a button. If they saw a different symbol, they
      were told to refrain from pushing the button.
      The test measures self control because there
      are more "press" than "don't press" trials, making
      pressing the button an impulsive response.

      The team then included measures to block
      participants from using their "inner voice"
      while performing the test, to see if it had
      an impact on their ability to perform. In order
      to block their "inner voice," participants were
      told to repeat one word over and over as they
      performed the test. This prevented them from
      talking to themselves while doing the test.

      "Through a series of tests, we found that
      people acted more impulsively when they couldn't
      use their inner voice or talk themselves through
      the tasks," says Inzlicht. "Without being able
      to verbalize messages to themselves, they were
      not able to exercise the same amount of self control
      as when they could talk themselves through the process."

      "It's always been known that people have
      internal dialogues with themselves, but until
      now, we've never known what an important function
      they serve," says Tullett. "This study shows
      that talking to ourselves in this 'inner voice'
      actually helps us exercise self control and
      prevents us from making impulsive decisions."

      Source: University of Toronto
      This article is being posted for non-commercial
      use only and thus falls under the Fair Use Statutes.