Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Sep 10, 2010
      Your Body is a Vehicle

      “Your body is your vehicle. It’s given to you to enjoy life.
      Remember, whatever you want to do, you need the body.
      You want to hear something? You need the body. You want
      to taste something? You need the body. You want to go
      somewhere? You need the body. The scriptures say,
      ‘Whatever you want to do, the body comes first.’ So, keep
      the body in good shape and use it well. On the other hand,
      attachment to your body interferes with your using it.
      So, in the name of spiritual practice, Yoga practice, we
      are not asking you to get attached to the body. Take good
      care of your tool, your instrument. Keep it clean, keep it
      healthy, keep it strong and fit to function well, but don’t
      get attached to it.

      “God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi.”

      For more by and about Swami Satchidananda:
      www.YogaAndPeace.org.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda