Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2010
      All starts from the Unconscious, all is in the
      Unconscious, and all sinks down into the Unconscious.
      There is no Buddhahood, hence no functioning of it.
      If a thought is awakened and any form of functioning
      is recognized, there is a discrimination, an
      attachment, a deviation from the path of the
      Unconscious. The master stands firmly in the Unconscious
      and refuses to be transferred to the plane of
      consciousness. This puzzles the novitiate monk.

      D. T. Suzuki

      This has been posted solely for non-commercial purposes,
      and thus is subject to the Fair Use statutes.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2011
        Attention.

        This means that when we are practicing,
        we should always cut off thoughts and
        guard against their arising. As soon
        as a thought arises we destroy it through
        attention. As a patriarch stated,
        "Do not fear the arising of thoughts; only be
        concerned lest your awareness of them be tardy."
        A gatha says, "There is no need to search
        for truth; you need only put all views to rest."
        This is the method of extinguishing delusion
        through attention.

        Chinul (1205)
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011
          Why practice quiet sitting?
          So you can really get a look
          At your original mind.
          You look at it coming, look at it going,
          And then you know you're the original person.
          This latter age has no deep faith,
          No one practices the
          Direct road to understanding.
          All they do is flap three inches of tongue
          And lose themselves in the muddle of the mind.

          - Gensei (1623-1668)
        • cris angel
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2011

            smiles frm N Thailnd

            Mbl sent

          • sandeep chatterjee
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
              A Master in grave soto voce.........explained to the gathering...

              "If you believe a Zen master speaks to make you understand........you  are mistaken .

              He speaks to totally confound you.......... so that  you give up in disgust and forsake understanding altogether.

              If you say, Ummon's staff isn't real, he'll hit you with it;

              if you say it exists, he will break it in two and throw it in the fire, and ask you to lean on its ashes."

              Came a voice from the audience..

              "I hope this wasn't Ummon's approach ......when propositioned for oral sex.

              Or was that why..... he was known to have a very funny walk."

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011

                Hah!

                One never knows what wisdom you will impart in this forum, Sandeep.

                Aideen

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                  When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                  when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
                • walto
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011

                    > When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage;
                    > when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.

                    When a sage obtains ordinary men, he may become a guru.
                    When an ordinary man obtains sage, he may become a chef.

                    ;>}

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2011
                      The fundamental delusion of humanity is to
                      suppose that I am here and you are out there.

                      Yasutani Roshi

                      permission from the copyright owner.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
                        "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
                        in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
                        faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
                        not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
                        facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
                        unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
                        said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
                        loses every day."

                        Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
                        permission from the copyright owner.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                          Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
                          to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
                          but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

                          He made the following rules, which he practiced
                          every day of his life.

                          In the morning before dressing, light incense
                          and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

                          Partake of food at regular intervals.
                          Eat with moderation and never to the point
                          of satisfaction.

                          Receive a guest with the same attitude you
                          have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
                          attitude you have in receiving guests.

                          Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
                          When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
                          yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
                          the past. Look to the future.

                          Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
                          loving heart of a child.

                          Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
                          last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
                          you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
                          permission from the copyright owner.