Words of Wisdom by Swami Chidananda

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3 5:31 AM
      The Conscious and Inert

      "The inert continues to exist as it is;
      the conscious ever advances, ever evolves,
      ever improves and masters everything. Thus
      man as the conscious being is the powerful
      one. He exerts his influence, and the inert
      yields to the power and the force that
      consciousness brings to bear on it. "

      "Therefore, from a pragmatic and rational
      point of view, it is meaningless to say that
      the universe is bondage, that we are caught
      in samsara (the process of worldly life)
      and helplessly suffer. It is a wrong notion,
      a misstatement, a contradiction of the true,
      inner, essential fact. The universe cannot
      bind anyone. Samsara has no power because it
      is jada, or inert. It has no power to bind;
      it cannot hold anyone in thraldom, in bondage.
      It has no power of its own; it cannot cling
      to you, bind you, hold you down from becoming
      whatever you wish to become. It is you who
      cling to it. It is you who are aware of its
      existence, who act and set up relationships.
      Bondage arises from you, not from samsara,
      not from this world, not from this creation
      of God. It does nothing. You are the one who
      has become bound by your own way of relating
      yourself to samsara, by your own way of
      failing to understand samsara and by wrongly
      understanding things around you."
      - Swami Chidananda
      For more by and about Swami Chidananda:
      http://www.divyajivan.org/
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 5:56 AM
        Thank you,
         One night on the open plains of Afghanistan, I was overwhelmed by the feeling of liberation.  All I could say to express it was that WE all of us are completely free, nobody can take that from us it is a birth right.  The words sound simple and agreeable enough but they do not do the feeling justice, it was profound for me to say the least.  However for some reason the feeling and the concept was lost to me when I returned home.  There was the feeling that the world was trying to bind and restrict me, and some in the world may be trying I just have to remember that they can't,
        To quote Bob Marley
        "emancipate your selves from mental slavery, non but ourselves can free our minds."

        the conscious ever advances, ever evolves,
        ever improves and masters everything. Thus
        man as the conscious being is the powerful
        one. He exerts his influence, and the inert
        yields to the power and the force that
        consciousness brings to bear on it. "

        "Therefore, from a pragmatic and rational
        point of view, it is meaningless to say that
        the universe is bondage, that we are caught
        in Samara (the process of worldly life)

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2010
          Waking up in the morning should not merely
          mean waking up into this maya-bazaar, waking
          up into this temporary world of pain and death.
          It should not only mean waking up into this
          little, confined, outer earth awareness.
          It should also simultaneously mean waking
          up into the awareness of your divinity which
          has been temporarily suspended in sleep.
          And keep up that inner wakefulness along
          with your outer physical wakefulness of
          the senses and the mind. Keep up the inner
          wakefulness of your svarupa (your very nature,
          your true identity). That is the great thing
          needful. That is what will make your life
          divine. That is what will take you, day by
          day, higher and higher towards the Goal Supreme.
          And this you have to do for yourself, with wisdom.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2011
            " This Moment"

            "True life is made up of "now." True life is
            not made up of bygone yesterdays or uncertain
            tomorrows. What we have is like a lump of clay
            in a sculptor's hands or a piece of gold in a
            goldsmith's shop. We can create out of it what
            we will. At this moment, what are we doing with
            the time we have? Are we thinking of something
            else? Are we forming opinions of people who are
            sitting beside us or of the person speaking to
            us? Or, are we engaged in making our life sublime,
            enriching ourselves, uplifting ourselves, drawing
            nearer to the Divine, and awakening within,
            unfolding ourselves, shining with the awakened
            light? What are we engaged in doing in this moment?

            This moment, this concept, this word, this fact,
            this truth is the most tremendous truth of life.
            Life is made up of this moment and this moment
            only—not of dead yesterdays nor of unborn tomorrows.
            But your life to each one of you is not even today.
            It is this moment. This moment is what we
            effectively have. Other aspects of time are
            what you imagine you have. Other aspects of
            time are present in your mind as ideas and concepts.
            They are most deceptive ideas.

            This moment is God. God comes to you as this moment.
            He does not descend in some sort of supramundane shape
            and size with lights flashing and sound emanating.
            He comes silently as this moment. Now is God. He
            constantly keeps coming to you as now, as this moment.
            We have to help God to help us when He comes as
            kaloham—I am time, I am life".

            If you make this moment all that it ought to be, it
            will bring something improved the next moment.
            Because you have already enriched yourself this
            moment, the next moment will be built upon it and
            therefore be one step higher and maybe one shade
            brighter. Each moment can be an ascending step, a
            manifestation of a brighter light from within you.
            Moment by moment illumination is attained. Moment
            by moment enlightenment is brought about. Moment
            by moment is liberation ultimately experienced.
            Moment by moment is the supreme Goal achieved.

            You do not have to wait for any moment; you do not
            have to exercise patience. On the contrary, the moment
            does not wait. It comes before you with each breath.
            Therefore, great mystics have said: "O Lord with
            every breath may I remember You. With every breath
            of my life may I ever seek to draw nearer to You."
            Because the moment does not wait, it does not tarry.
            If you take it and live it, then you have it. If you
            daydream, allow yourself to be diverted elsewhere,
            get bogged down in something else, then you lose it.
            It is no longer yours; it is gone forever.

            Each moment is your real wealth, more precious than
            gold, diamonds and precious stones. Each moment is
            your very life. Each moment is what you are and what
            you can be. There is nothing that can compare to it.
            The tremendous importance of the moment, the incomparable
            value of the moment, is the most important insight
            and understanding that a living individual must have.
            "My wealth is each moment that is before me now. It
            is now I have to live my life, not in yesterdays or
            tomorrows. I have but this moment to live, to mould
            and to fashion, to make something out of it. This is
            my effective life."

            Remember, we do not have to work for it, we do not
            have to ask for it. It is constantly being given,
            constantly. It is always immediate. It comes. It does
            not delay, but you cannot ask it to wait. You cannot
            afford to allow it to pass by and then imagine you
            can do something about it. When it has passed, it is
            no longer yours. When you confront it, it is yours;
            you are master of the situation, you have full claim.
            It allows itself to be taken by you and made use of
            in any way you like.
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4 7:40 AM
              The Power of Persistence

              Come out of the cage of your little, egoistical,
              selfish personality. Renounce and sacrifice
              this selfish personality at the altar of humanity.
              Where there is no "I", where there is no mind,
              where there is no selfishness, there is ideal
              karma yoga. It becomes upasana (worship).

              You can be established in a state where even
              though acting, you are no more acting. Karma or
              work cannot bind you because you are acting without
              sense of doership. The feeling "I am doing" is not
              there; rather, "He is getting it done through me."
              You are a witness of your own activity, a witness
              of your own actions, and the poison of kartritva
              or sense of doer-ship is removed from the activity;
              it becomes sublime activity. Then it is God's will
              that manifests itself through you.

              To be established in this state of inner absence
              of self, one has to diligently pursue a method of
              sadhana (daily spiritual practice) and persist in
              it, diligently continue to negate the ego, negate
              the self. It does not come in a day, but it comes
              if you are persistent.

              In his "Song of Eighteen Ities," Gurudev has used
              two expressions that seem more or less similar in
              their meaning. He used the expression "fixity": being
              firm, firmly fixed in your vow, in your pratijna
              (resolve), in your determination. Be firmly fixed,
              let nothing shake you. Become so established in
              your niyama (observance) that nothing can move you.
              Fixity indicates a certain attitude, a state that
              you have achieved or attained in your interior.
              You have become strong within, unshakable within,
              firm within.

              While fixity involves a certain inner state you
              have reached after much diligence and struggle,
              the second expression, "tenacity," indicates an
              attitude, a certain inner attitude with which you
              live your life, engage in your sadhana. And that
              attitude is a firm resolution not to give up no
              matter what obstacles come, no matter what setbacks,
              no matter what disappointments or discouragements.

              "I will not leave my pursuit until and unless I
              get complete success in it. I shall not give up
              this sadhana, I shall continue with this abhyasa
              (practice), I will not give up"—this attitude is
              called tenacity. Having taken up something wise,
              something good, never to abandon it, never to leave
              it, to be determined to come out victorious—this
              attitude is called tenacity.

              Tenacity is different from obstinacy. Obstinacy
              is a negative, tamasic quality. You should not have
              tenacity with regard to some wrong things that you
              might have taken up in a state of folly. Tenacity
              is a positive quality, sattvic: never to swerve from
              your purpose, from your determination. In this way,
              there should be in the heart of the sadhak (one who
              is getting or trying to get realization)the
              determined adherence to one's ideals, and one must
              be established in an inner state which is unassailable,
              not affected by anything.

              A person of a very negative nature does not commence
              any serious undertaking due to hesitancy. "Oh, if
              I undertake this, who knows, afterwards this difficulty
              may come, that obstacle may come." So thinking,
              even though he intends to have a good life and do
              good things, because of this nervousness and fear
              of obstacles, he never does them. This is not good.
              There are others who no doubt start doing something
              good, but when obstacles and troubles come in their
              way, they give it up. But the real spiritual seeker,
              the real sadhak, once having taken up something,
              no matter how many obstacles or difficulties come,
              how many adverse circumstances face him, he always
              thinks, "No, I'll never leave it! I have taken this
              up, I will see it through, I shall not be deterred
              by anything." This is the uttama adhikari (best
              qualified aspirant).

              That is the thing needful in your spiritual life.
              Fixity of principles, and tenacity—never to let go.
              It leads to success. Lord Krishna says in His Gita
              jnana upades (wisdom teaching): "Never leave your
              abhyasa, never give up your abhyasa. Because that
              is the secret of success and attainment. You may
              fail, that does not matter. If you are persistent
              in your abhyasa you will attain Me." A seemingly
              impossible thing becomes possible in the face of
              sheer persistent abhyasa, regular, unfailing, unbroken
              abhyasa. It breaks down all barriers; it breaks down
              all obstacles on the way; it overcomes all hurdles
              and reaches the goal. This is the type of nature that
              the sadhak should seek to develop within himself.
              In that lies the guarantee of his success.

              May the grace of the Supreme Lord be upon you, be
              upon your spiritual life, be upon your spiritual
              striving, so that casting aside any doubt, any
              misgivings like, "whether I shall attain or not,
              whether I shall succeed or not, whether I have
              chosen the right thing or not," and not allowing
              any such misgivings or doubts to come into the mind,
              with determination and tenacity, be firmly
              established in sadhana. Let your sadhana, your
              abhyasa be akhanda (unbroken). And with firm faith
              and determination, may you through such unbroken
              sadhana enter into that supreme state which is
              beyond sorrow and suffering, which is peace and
              joy! For that is your birthright. For that attainment
              alone you have been born as a human being and with
              good samskaras (mental impressions) and good vasanas
              (subtle desires). May you not be indifferent to your
              own highest welfare. May you be serious in your
              sadhana. May God shower grace upon you!
              Much more by and about Swami Chidananda can be
              found on this spiritual treasure:
              http://www.divyajivan.org/
            • cris angel
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4 8:08 AM

                Your words and flow are with waters of Grace....eternal heart and ear

                Cris Angel
                Mbl sent

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
                  People also suffer due to egoism, arrogance,
                  exaggerated self-importance. If you feel you
                  are not getting the proper respect, or are being
                  treated in a slipshod manner, you can be terribly
                  upset, incensed for the whole day. "That person
                  ignored me, or spoke to me in that way; this person
                  did not pay me the respect I am due; they did not
                  give me the right seat." Because you feel you are
                  important, all these things can cause misery, sorrow
                  and torment. They are not from outside, but are
                  self-created, coming from within yourself.

                  Discretion being the better part of valor, it is
                  usually possible to escape from things outside you
                  or to be far away from them. You can master the external
                  objects and say: "No, I will not let them interfere
                  with my inner peace of mind." You may be able to avoid
                  them entirely. But how can you avoid things that emanate
                  from within you? You cannot run away from yourself.
                  So you have to realize that greater danger lies within
                  yourself, more harm can be done to yourself by yourself
                  than by all the objects of the external world put
                  together. Hence you will have to engage yourself in
                  an inner discipline, inner transformation, an inner
                  restoration of a right state of affairs within yourself.

                  Think about it. Then you will find that because the
                  state of affairs within you is not right, you are caused
                  much misery. You are made restless. You are at the mercy
                  of these things which come from within. And if you are
                  not able to clearly recognise their presence within you,
                  or if they are vague and illusive, you cannot deal with
                  them. You know that they are there when they manifest,
                  but otherwise you do not know where they are hiding, in
                  what form they are lurking in the depths of your mind.
                  Unless you find out, it is not possible to deal with
                  them. How can you deal with an unknown, unseen adversary?
                  They have to be brought to the surface. They have to be
                  cornered. You have to go after them.

                  That is why Guru Maharaj Swami Sivananda said: "Sit alone,
                  turn your mind inward, introspect, do self-examination,
                  try to find out what is within yourself, analyse the
                  inner contents." This is indispensable. Otherwise you will
                  not know yourself. And you will be surprised, amazed and
                  even dismayed by what things can come up from within
                  yourself when you sit for meditation, for example, or
                  when you are moving about in society. You will discover
                  things you never dreamt of, things you never suspected
                  you are capable of. You can be such a stinker. You can
                  be such a nasty person. Or, you can be dismayed by
                  seeing within yourself qualities you cannot stand in
                  others. Suddenly, you humbly experience, they are there,
                  right within you. It is a chastening experience.

                  If you are honest with yourself, if you are wise and if
                  you are keenly introspective and analytical, then these
                  things can be found out. However, they are not found out
                  in a day. One day's introspection will reveal nothing.
                  One week's introspection will reveal nothing. They have
                  been there for decades, from your birth, maybe from
                  another birth. Therefore, you must be after this sadhana,
                  this process of self-introspection, analysis, self-examination.

                  If you practice this unrelentingly, with determination,
                  if you persevere in this sadhana, you will be rewarded with
                  a lot of knowledge, a lot of revelation about yourself. Then
                  you are in a position to bring about the desired change, not otherwise. Until you know yourself, you cannot work upon
                  yourself, you will not be able to turn brass into gold, to
                  bring about the transformation that Yoga and sadhana are
                  supposed to bring about, that Guru, mantra, japa, prayer,
                  worship and bhajan are supposed to bring about. And they
                  must bring it about, but only when they are accompanied by
                  this type of honest self-examination, earnest introspection,
                  sincere desire to find out, see, know yourself, to discover
                  the inner contents of your mind.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
                    Worship God as Virtue

                    "Have no other God. You can contemplate God, you can
                    contemplate eternity, infinity, ocean of bliss, Light of
                    lights beyond all darkness — all these things you can contemplate,
                    think about, reflect over, but you cannot love and worship peace,
                    or ananda, or jnana. Because they are abstruse, abstract concepts,
                    and you want something more, something for which you can live and something for which you can be prepared to die also. That is virtue.

                    Read the sixteenth chapter of the Bhagavad Gita*, you will understand. Worship God as Virtue. Worship virtue by practicing virtue.
                    This is a way to spiritual transformation and realization."

                    Swami Chidananda

                    *CHAPTER 16

                    16.01 The Supreme Lord said: Fearlessness, purity of heart, perseverance in the yoga of knowledge, charity, sense restraint, sacrifice, study of the scriptures, austerity, honesty;

                    16.02 Nonviolence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, equanimity, abstaining from malicious talk, compassion for all creatures, freedom from greed, gentleness, modesty, absence of fickleness;

                    16.03 Splendor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, absence of malice, and absence of pride; these are the qualities of those endowed with divine virtues, O Arjuna.