RE: [Meditation Society of America] I've already died a thousand times

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010

      Thank you.

      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of WestWindWood
      Sent: September-01-10 6:20 AM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] I’ve already died a thousand times

      Insightful posting. Every time a person meditates, they receive a push in the direction they need to grow, and one goes because they want life to get better. On the other hand, there is the desire to continue on with the propensities inherent in ones current personality with the mistaken belief that the intellect can solve the dissatisfaction about life as one goes forward through time. We take a lot of pride in our intellectual abilities to take care of everything. To receive a push in another direction knowing one has to follow, that means giving up on the intellect and we feel like the intellect is what we are, our ego. If my ego goes, then I go also I think. Now these ego changes are done little by little. One cannot instantly change their personality. It is true that there is enlightenment, but that is only the way to changing, of gaining this insight needed to change. The insight pushes, and going with each push is a recognition the ego is not perfect even though we want to cling to the ego tenaciously so it has to be done little by little over many years time. Every time we meditate, there is a push on the ego to change and there is the feeling like I am dying each time because the ego is getting less if I go with the push. Yes, eventually over many years, the ego does evaporate, but I have not really died although my personality has changed much for the better because the grasping desires have gone. So, if I meditate almost every day for 60 years I am going to feel like I am dieing 20,000 times and I do this intentionally.