I've already died a thousand times

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
      Thanks you Sandeep for sharing this.
      I'll be following uo by checking out
      both Ms Hillesum and Mr Ricard.
      This kind of pointing is why and how
      this Forum can be so valuable.
      I've already died a thousand times

      Anyone who enjoys inner peace is no more broken by
      failure than he is inflated by success.

      He is able to fully live his experiences in the
      context of a vast and profound serenity, since
      he understands that experiences
      are ephemeral and that it is useless to cling to them.

      There will be no hard fall when things turn bad
      and he is confronted with adversity.
      He does not sink into depression, since his
      happiness rests on a solid foundation.

      One year before her death at Auschwitz, the remarkable
      Etty Hillesum, a young Dutchwoman, affirmed:
      "When you have an
      interior life, it certainly doesn't matter what
      side of the prison you're on.

      . . . I've already died a thousand times in a
      thousand concentration camps.

      I know everything.
      There is no new information to trouble me.
      One way or another, I already know everything,
      and yet, I find this life beautiful and rich
      in meaning. At every moment."

      Changing the way we see the world does not imply
      a naive optimism or some artificial euphoria designed to counterbalance adversity.

      So long as we are slaves to the dissatisfaction
      and frustration that arise from the confusion
      that rules our minds, it will be just as futile
      to tell ourselves "I'm happy!" over and over again
      as it would be to repaint a wall in ruins.

      The search for happiness is not about looking at
      life through rose-colored glasses or blinding
      oneself to the pain and imperfections of
      the world.

      Nor is happiness a state of exaltation to be
      perpetuated at all costs; it is the purging
      of mental toxins such as hatred and obsession
      that literally poison the mind.

      It is also about learning how to put things in
      perspective and reduce the gap between appearances
      and reality.

      To that end we must acquire a better knowledge of
      how the mind works and a more accurate insight
      into the nature of things, for in its deepest
      sense, suffering is intimately linked to a misapprehension
      of the nature of reality.

      - Matthieu Ricard,
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010